·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Yep!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only need for a fuel pump is if the feul tank is below the carbs. IMO you will be wasting your time.
I found my CBR1000F (same carbs, just smaller and more of 'em) I could run to the point where the tank (above the carbs ;) ) was pretty much all vapours and no fuel - I'm wondering whether or not an EFP may help finally cure the phantom empty tank issues.
The 1000F with it's full wrap body kit used to let go a lot of heat and I've seen mention that the heat from the barrels on VN caused evaporation issues with the small carby bowl.

Might have a muck about anyway - what can it hurt apart from wasting bucket loads of fuel :)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
If your floats are working correctly and it is not a high pressure pump then you won't waste fuel. Yep to I wouldn't do it but I hadn't thought of the phantom empty tank cure. It might work, if so lets us know.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I'd try cleaning out the fuel cap as per Glenn M' s write up first.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Nope, never tried it. Research it and see what you find.

I know some riders, one has a 94 Honda CBR F2, carburated, tank over carbs, has an electric fuel pump from the factory.
Another guy, 03 Yamaha R6, carburated, tank over carbs, has an electric fuel pump from the factory.
There are likely several other makes and models using them, so find out why some have them, and some, (like ours) don't.

I asked my Yamaha friend recently if he knew why his bike had a fuel pump, cause I thought it was odd at the time, but he didn't know.

After you research and find why the factories did some and not others, you'll know if its a waste of time. Or just do it up and see what happens....obviously there will be a few installation issues on these bikes, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. ;)

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I think the bikes could benefit from a LOW pressure fuel pump. I'd theorize that the two main reasons many bikes don't have fuel pumps are cost and the KISS principle (one less thing to go wrong). We know that the phantom out of gas syndrome is fuel delivery related - I'd think a positive flow rather than simple gravity would take care of the issue...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts