Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Easy ground mod that helped *pics*

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  slimvulcanrider 
#1 ·
So a friend stopped by for a visit, eventually we talked bike mods. I told him of the problems some VN riders have with our charging, starting, R/R and stators.

His brother is a fleet mech in Seattle that cares for more than 1k vehicles. They discovered ECU failures were rising; the problem was traced to poor grounds. Their solution was to run a dedicated ground wire from the battery to the ECU to the alternator.

My R/R was running quite warm, so I decided to give this a try (the existing grounds were already cleaned prior to this). The results were very promising...
Steady reading on the volt meter of 14.5v and easier starts.

engine ground to reed valve cover. I used this spot for simplicity/testing.

Double soldered ground wire to battery ground. Leads go to above engine ground and R/R body.

Ground wire attached to top bolt on R/R

DT

See less See more
#2 ·
Following a suggestion I read on Gypsy's site, I too grounded the R/R. But there will be several folks on shortly to explain that the R/R is already grounded through the existing wiring. Oh Well....

#3 ·
I have taken apart the R/R in hopes of finding a way to replace the zenner diodes.. upon inspection there is no ground to the case of the R/R... the black/yellow wire (middle pin) is the only ground available for the r/r.. and guess what.. it runs directly to the battery main negative post.

#4 ·
the black/yellow wire (middle pin) is the only ground available for the r/r.. and guess what.. it runs directly to the battery main negative post.
So the guy I was talking with had the right idea... I think I'll trace down the wire you speak of and make sure it's in good condition.

Thanks Slim

DT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.