Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy my stepson a battery for his 2005 VN750A.

Do these things arrive charged ? I would assume they are dead on
arrival, and that is why you'd pay more for one in person, like at
sears.

Or, do they arrive charged, and you just stick them in ?

Thanks, Herb

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
most mail order ones don't come charged... but IIRC you can get them charged at o'rileys for a small fee

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
It depends on the battery. Some come ready to install others require you to install the acid (which is spill proof), and/or require a charge. When I installed my Yuasa mf battery I had to install the acid and charge it. I used a batter tender and it took less than an hour to charge up. I the one at www.batterymart.com comes ready to install and the Westco is the same way if installed within the first 30 days (see the Westco FAQs).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought my battery at Advance auto. Put it in bike and it was ready to go. You didn't say but make sure you get maint. free batt. it is worth the extra money. Mine was about sixty dollars, cured the hard starting when bike was hot.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Westco arrives filled and charged at your door. Plug and play. Though it doesn't hurt to make sure they are fully charged..
http://www.westcobattery.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dianna said:
Westco arrives filled and charged at your door. Plug and play. Though it doesn't hurt to make sure they are fully charged..
http://www.westcobattery.com/
Here here... :D I plugged mine into a trickle charger overnight to be safe. :carryflag

My wife's Vulcan came with a MARINE battery (low on water)! So topped it off, charged it... and she still had problems!:BLAM:

I should've listened to the folks here (and the Mailing List) first!

The Westco has been trouble free for a whole season!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can assure you guys I'll be doing maintenance free. :smiley_th

Do they sale the older ones for more then nostalgic reasons?

Thanks again for all the tips.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only reason I can think of to buy an old style (not maint free) battery would be the price. But for $60 I'll buy another maintenance free when this one bites the dust.

·
Registered
43 Posts
VN750A said:
I am going to buy my stepson a battery for his 2005 VN750A.

Do these things arrive charged ? I would assume they are dead on
arrival, and that is why you'd pay more for one in person, like at
sears.

Or, do they arrive charged, and you just stick them in ?

Thanks, Herb
The battery comes dead with no electrolight in it. You have to fill it up with the battery acid. Then let charge for a while. Don't get it in your mouth. Not good LOL.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
750 FREAK said:
The battery comes dead with no electrolight in it. You have to fill it up with the battery acid. Then let charge for a while. Don't get it in your mouth. Not good LOL.
It depends on the battery. some sealed batterys come filled and fully charged (www.batterymart.com, www.westcobattery.com) and others don't.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I got my bike it had a brand new acid type battery. I used the bike for 2 months with the battery and did some other modifications and checked the level of water in the battery before every ride. Even after checking the battery every time, I still felt uncomfortable with the battery. I went and purchased a maintanance free die hard. Next, I looked up what other motorcycles the battery fits. I advertised on Craigslist.org FOR SALE $10. I sold it in 4 hrs. That reduced the cost of my maintenance free battery and gave me piece of mind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, i bought a new battery and it needs to be charged with new acid pack. Here is my question--would a charger be better to buy than a tender because i know i will have to recharge next year as i do not have access to electricity during the winter months for a tender. Dont chargers also shut off automaticaly to prevent overheated batterys. I am thinking of a 12v charger. Any suggestions as to model and brand charger to buy while i am asking.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If you bought a Batt that needed a new acid pack, that is a wet cell not a Maint free. Why would you get one of those?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If you bought a Batt that needed a new acid pack, that is a wet cell not a Maint free. Why would you get one of those?
You sure about that Chad? I bought a MF battery at Sears and I had to "build" it, then charge it for a little while. THere's no vent hose on the battery, and it claims to be MF. Sure cost like a MF. :)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Ok, The one I got was sealed, full, and charged when I got it sealed in the box. The dealer I work for can get motorcycle batteries from Interstate, I get them at dealer cost.
I thought that they were all seald and full, Sorry for the mistake

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry for confusion, battery was new in box,YUASA, yxt14ahl-bs, which needs acid to be added before final charging. But what about charger virsus tender?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Sorry we got off topic a little, Eather will work for the first charge, I would get a tender, That way you can keep it pluged in when not riding for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The only reason I bought the old fashioned wet cell was out of ignorance. Had I know the joys of the MF type batteries, I'd have bought one of them instead of the wet cell I have now. I havn't had any problems yet but at the first sign of trouble (hard hot starts) out it goes and an MF will go in its place.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Ok, i bought a new battery and it needs to be charged with new acid pack. Here is my question--would a charger be better to buy than a tender because i know i will have to recharge next year as i do not have access to electricity during the winter months for a tender. Dont chargers also shut off automaticaly to prevent overheated batterys. I am thinking of a 12v charger. Any suggestions as to model and brand charger to buy while i am asking.
Either or should be fine.
The regular charger, with the typical 50-10-2 amp settings might be more universally useful (use it on a car/truck/bike...) Where as the trickle charger will charge, but not 'jump' a battery.
Wal-mart usually has a decent selection of both.
If you end up getting a regular type charger, be sure it has a low setting of 2amps or less.
The longer you charge a battery at low amps, the better the charge will be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts