Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Hope this helps any vulcan owners
Remove tank, old filter ears and plastic boots. I used a red hot hacksaw
blade to remove my plastic air box. I used some tape to make a handle and using a propane torch heated the end of the blade red hot. Then melting and cutting the box into removable sized pieces. I cut- melted the top of the box then removed the carb boots using some wd-40. Keep heating the blade red hot and slice the box into pieces. total time 1 1/2 hrs. Be careful not to cut or melt any hoses and wires. Not messy and fairly easy.
Bob

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
hhmm... Maybe a cheap soldering iron would work as well? Wouldn't have to keep reheating it.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I had my engine in after the stator replacement and forgot to put the airbox back in. Had to drop the motor as I want to keep mine stock. Funny as in the first shot motor went right in. After dropping for the airbox it took 30 minutes of wrestling

·
Registered
35 Posts
no other way

so really there is no other way to remove my airbox? It wont come out in front or anything? ugh....

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
so really there is no other way to remove my airbox? It wont come out in front or anything? ugh....
You can remove the fuel tank and some water hose and work the box backwards between the frame. It is not easy, but it does work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok thanks...cutting it is not an option for me at the moment...dont wanna do an ear shave cause i have no clue what it is lol

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I'll have to try this. Good thread. Thanks.
No need to thank anyone since the tread was from 2011 and I am not sure how many of those members are still active. No harm.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Did I miss something here? It looks as if Vulcan200 might have posted a link to an older thread showing how to remove the air box in one piece for the benefit of mge_1 (my assumption here), but I see no post with a link.

Was it deleted?
I guess mge_1 decided to cut his out anyway, so guess it don't really matter.

IMO it would be good to salvage the Air Box for the benefit of others who may want to restore their bike back to stock.....and YES there are others out there that want a stock bike....lol

My apologies to the OP if I jacked the thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did I miss something here? It looks as if Vulcan200 might have posted a link to an older thread showing how to remove the air box in one piece for the benefit of mge_1 (my assumption here), but I see no post with a link.

Was it deleted?
I guess mge_1 decided to cut his out anyway, so guess it don't really matter.

IMO it would be good to salvage the Air Box for the benefit of others who may want to restore their bike back to stock.....and YES there are others out there that want a stock bike....lol

My apologies to the OP if I jacked the thread.
With this build, that was the plan to save all parts I take off and sell to those in need. Except for this air box that pissed me off... aka destroyed lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hoping it is ok to post this here

For anyone who has not done an ear shave yet but would like to keep the air box intact, here are the steps I used.

1) Remove seat, ears (including rubber that connects them to air box) and fuel tank

2) Disconnect carb breathers from carbs and pull from air box

3) Disconnect emmisions hose (bottom of air box between carb breather holes)

4) Disconnect hose on front left side air box that leads to front cylinder

5) Take out 10mm bolt that holds relays,etc at top left side of frame near neck

6) Disconnect upper radiator hose

7) Disconnect coolant line that runs to rear cylinder

8) Take out 2 8mm bolts that hold coolant fill tube assembly and 10 mm

9) Unplug yellow temp sensor wire

10) Disconnect coolant resivoir supply line from coolant fill tube housing

11) Disconnect right front spark plug wire and swing coolant fill housing outside of fram to create space

12) Swing relay bracket from left side outside of frame

13) Manipulate air box to push wire harness below air box

14) Take a drink of your favorite beverage

15) Use one hand to push front of air box up over front cylinder while using the other to pull airbox back out the rear of frame above carbs

16) Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle and she will come free in one piece

17) Take another drink as now you have pulled it out in one piece!

I hope this helps someone accomplish this task without pulling out their hair or destroying a part that some will pay $$ for.

P.S. If you ever decide to put it back, just reverse the process and don't forget your drink!! :lockd:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...easier....C-4...."fire in the hole !!!!!"....lol.....who in their right minds would ever want ro resore that Ant ????...it crowds then engine, causes it to run hotter....its part of the emissions crap....I say use the old ones for pinatas.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't have the option of replacing the air box(surge tank thingy) or all the emissions crap (I never want to work with that crap again) and so had to pull all of it out and reinstall it to replace my stator (don't ask, it just came out).

The easiest way I did it was with a towel and a big pry bar. Use the pry bar to make room for the wiring harness to go down past the tank then lift the back end while prying it from the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts