Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't do it! I've had cone air filters on other motorcycles - most recently a Yamaha XS1100 Special. And, surprise, when riding in moderately heavy rainfall it almost drowns out due to ingesting water into the carbs. I now have over 40k miles on my stock 2002 VN750. And it will run in a deluge. Maybe it's an ok cheap way out if you are reviving a salvage or mistreated machine that is missing parts. But beware modifying the work of design engineers. And I haven't even mentioned the carb rejetting hassles.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Rain hasn't been a problem for the 750, but I sometimes get too much water on the filters during a wash.

Still running stock jets with my earshave.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
Never had an issue with pods in rain on mine. Or sleet. Or snow. Or hail.

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: roadpouring

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've ridden in a Florida downpour at 70mph on the interstate. No issues. My filters are properly and adequately oiled, critical component.

You know what they say about opinions...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't do it! I've had cone air filters on other motorcycles - most recently a Yamaha XS1100 Special. And, surprise, when riding in moderately heavy rainfall it almost drowns out due to ingesting water into the carbs. I now have over 40k miles on my stock 2002 VN750. And it will run in a deluge. Maybe it's an ok cheap way out if you are reviving a salvage or mistreated machine that is missing parts. But beware modifying the work of design engineers. And I haven't even mentioned the carb rejetting hassles.
To be clear, I expect to be shouted down by those of the "did it, love it" crowd. But I am speaking more to the purists than the tinkerers. Besides there being no reason to do it, guys considering an earshave need to remember in physics and mechanics that for every action there is a reaction.

·
Registered
590 Posts
To be clear, I expect to be shouted down by those of the "did it, love it" crowd. But I am speaking more to the purists than the tinkerers. Besides there being no reason to do it, guys considering an earshave need to remember in physics and mechanics that for every action there is a reaction.
I did it on my first bike. I didn't like the intake noise, but it wasn't objectionable since I ran without mufflers after the goat. I didn't notice a change in power (granted it was done in the off season). I went up a jet or two and ended up with slightly better MPG, so it must have helped somewhat. But no one here has actually measured before and after power.

IMHO, it wasn't worth the effort for performance or visual changes. It did make carb work easier (and I left the surge tank in place). Visuals are of course subjective.

Someone tried to explain how the surge tank resonates at a certain RPM to fill in for a torque dip caused by valve overlap, and this may be true, but I never quite understood it. Without a before and after dyno run, it's all just theory anyways.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
There are reasons to do it.
1. Makes removing the carbs like 10 times easier.
2. Saves weight
3. Can actually improve performance if re-jetted properly.
4. Makes the bike look better (obviously subjective here, but those two big boxes on each side are a bit obtrusive)
5. Easier to maintain the filters themselves. The stock air box is notorious for its bolts stripping out.

Have had three bikes I had K&N pods on and never had a problem in heavy rain either.
So, looks like it’s just you.... 😉

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
Vn750 purists? Man. That's priceless. What if you bought your Vulcan as a basket case that was missing pieces? I'd rather see one back on the road than pristine. Whether it had the ears on it or not, at the end of the day, you've basically got a $1500-3000 bike at best. It's not like it's an old Crocker or a Vincent... it's a fookin Vulcan.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
A little off topic, but thanks for your valuable input.
There is no such thing as off topic on Vn750.com. LoL. Not long ago this topic would vary towards beer and redheads...And food..

Sent from the depths of my hollow head where the extra personalities voices echo loudly...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
There are reasons to do it.
1. Makes removing the carbs like 10 times easier.
2. Saves weight
3. Can actually improve performance if re-jetted properly.
4. Makes the bike look better (obviously subjective here, but those two big boxes on each side are a bit obtrusive)
5. Easier to maintain the filters themselves. The stock air box is notorious for its bolts stripping out.

Have had three bikes I had K&N pods on and never had a problem in heavy rain either.
So, looks like it’s just you....
The '85 I recently picked up backfired through the carb and blew the right ear clean off the bike. Lol

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
BTW, CV carbs are designed to function best when sharing a common air box. Anyone make a manifold to run one slide carb like a VM34 or VM38? I'd like that. Performance would be down a bit but would be worth it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
BTW, CV carbs are designed to function best when sharing a common air box. Anyone make a manifold to run one slide carb like a VM34 or VM38? I'd like that. Performance would be down a bit but would be worth it.
On the vn, they run fine without the ears if you get the jetting correct. Some have not even rejetted with the stock exhaust

1 - 14 of 14 Posts