Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I hate to ask such a lame question, especially since I'm in the middle of doing a Stator replaced. But could someone tell me what are the "Ears??" Are they the air filters? And what is an "Ear Shave??""

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes the "ears" are the filter pods that stick out on both sides. The "ear shave" is a procedure that removes the pods, surge box and usually the air inject system.

Heres a link to VoId Docs ear shave procedure http://06vn750.blogspot.com/

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
They are most likely called "ears" because the bike is called a "Vulcan" They serve an important purpose, even if you don't like the looks of them (I do) they protect your engine. Doing the "earshave" thing requires the use of "filters" (if you want to call them that) that let a lot more dirt through than the stock filters, resulting in greater engine wear and reduced engine longevity.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they look great, not gonna mess with mine.........

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I really wanted to mount twin hyperchargers

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
because the bike is called a "Vulcan"
...the bike is named after the Roman god of fire and volcanoes. He has a number of counterparts in other pantheons as well....Pele, Thor, Volos, etc.
he is commonly shown as a blacksmith with a forge...
It was told that he once dated Grace Slick, and while she was "blessing everyones pointy little heads", he put the ears on the VNs...but he screwed up and made the right one rounded (like a real ear)...he tried to fix it on the left one and make it pointed (so Grace could bless it), but screwed that up too, since Pan (the model) wouldnt sit still....

...sorry.....waaaaaayyyy too many trips and shine in the 70's.....hee hee...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Just look at the picture of the Vulcan at the top of the page. Notice how prominent the "ears" are. They are a big part of what gives the bike it's unique look. Yes, they definitely look '80s, but it's an '80s bike. Removing them (even if you didn't have to use those crappy filters) would be akin to removing the tail fins from a '59 Cadillac.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I wouldnt go THAT far Jerry....folks dont get shot for modding a Vulcan...round here though, they do for butchering a vintage Cad-doo (or any vintage car/truck)...buddy of mine has an almost restored '68...its insured by a Smith and Wesson....another friend has a mint '57 Harley (he's an ex Angel)...he brings it in his living room daily.... :D
We dont mess with American iron too much here...but the foreign stuff is like "do as ya will"...you should see some of the rice rockets local kids are runnin....160mph w/nitrous through the onion farms...on 2 wheels !...frost heaves and all...........big number of vintage Lime...oops, I mean...British Trumps that were chopped in the 60's show on nice days too. But not ONE stock. :( ...Wish I still had my original BSA 441 Victor...one for sale in the next town now for about 3k ! (fully restored, natch...). Now THAT was a sweet one lung thumper !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts