Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started wearing a half helmet, and everyone I know is telling me I need to wear earplugs while riding, or I face permanent hearing loss.

Does everyone on here wear ear plugs??

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
I wear ear plugs. The wind noise is loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss in the high frequencies. Loss in high freq. makes it very difficult to hear women, children and in the presence of background noise! You would do best to get custom made plugs for comfort and effectiveness. I should know, I'm an Audioprosthologist and have been fitting hearing aids for 30 years........... ;o)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I wear ear plugs. The wind noise is loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss in the high frequencies. Loss in high freq. makes it very difficult to hear women, children and in the presence of background noise! You would do best to get custom made plugs for comfort and effectiveness. I should know, I'm an Audioprosthologist and have been fitting hearing aids for 30 years........... ;o)
Wait...if I wear a half helmet without ear plugs I'll stop being able to hear my wife and kids? Sign me up!!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ive almost always worn a half shell, no plugs...but after a long ride I DO get the "water in ear" feeling for about a minute....my hearing is pretty well shot anyway (like the rest of me) as i used to run heavy equipment, chainsaws, woodshop tools, etc....only drawback with earplugs, is that they will cut out noises you MAY wanna hear, such as car horns, bad engine noises, etc.
Personally, on an average to short ride, half shell w/o plugs is ok...for really long rides I have a 3/4 Bell SuperMagnum...
I think I got a spider livin in my right ear anyway, and wouldnt want him to suffocate if I used plugs...lol

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I just got a shiver thinking about the spider thing. I check my helmet every time before I put it on. I hate freakin' spiders. That's all I need is for one to start crawling on my head or down my visor while I'm riding. *shiver*

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I never used ear plugs until I got the VN750. Now I can't go down the block without them. This engine is very noisy. I use expanding foam ear plugs that cut out all the high pitch sound.

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
There are no ear plugs that "cut out all the noise"! They reduce sound about 30 dB, much like plugging your ears with your fingers. They reduce loud sounds that damage your hearing. I got divorced, so I don't need ear plugs! (jk) Custom plugs are very comfortable and are easier to insert/remove than most others. You can contact a hearing aid dispenser in your area and find out the cost or just come see me..... ;o)

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I use earplugs.....now. Already have some hearing loss. Sure, you can joke about not hearing the wife or kids... But you'll also have to turn your TV up , constantly ask for folks to repeat themselves, and miss out on good gossip.

Damage still continues every day you get exposed.... It's like freaking radiation....everything seems alright to you, but as time goes on the damage has been done and your hearing slowly fades. You might not notice anything now, but in 10-20 years you'll be deaf.

Trust me. You should wear earplugs when you ride even with a full face helmet. Even for just a brief ride.

Was that your granddaughters first words? Can she repeat them I missed it......

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are no ear plugs that "cut out all the noise"! They reduce sound about 30 dB, much like plugging your ears with your fingers. They reduce loud sounds that damage your hearing. I got divorced, so I don't need ear plugs! (jk) Custom plugs are very comfortable and are easier to insert/remove than most others. You can contact a hearing aid dispenser in your area and find out the cost or just come see me..... ;o)
So I guess using headphones and listening to music that's louder than the wind isn't such a hot idea either??

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
not for nothing...but I wouldn't be wearing a half helmet on a longer ride anyway...especially at highway speeds. I see guys going down the highway with that beanie helmet hanging on the back of their necks....always chuckle when I see that.

Wear a half helmet that fits properly and your ears will thank you....unless image is what you are worried about....then tough guys don't wear earplugs because they are tough enough to face plant without protection...so a little wind is nothing.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I never used ear plugs until I got the VN750.
Which is exactly why I installed stock, baffled Sportster mufflers...

And...to all...what about shooters ?...all wear plugs and many, even headphones....personally, Id rather hear the road and my engine...my son aint never gonna have kids, daughter mebbe, but prolly not in my lifetime...I would miss hearing Jerry Garcia's licks, or Wagner and Bach.
Id rather be deaf than blind though....

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I worked construction around heavy equipment for years, have quite a bit of hearing loss in my left ear and a good bit in my right... I also shot competition, and when shooting I would wear ear plugs and usually also with muffs over them...
That being said, most of my riding buddies wear the half helmets & glasses, I did wear the 3/4 helmet with shield and didn't like how it was in the 50-60+ mph wind, so I thought I would try a half helmet, I bought one and rode with it for a grand total of 26 mi., 13 there and 13 back to the house, it still hangs in the garage, no way will I ever wear one again except in an emergency or have to case...
I now wear a full face helmet and nothing else, handles the wind better, vented & is more comfortable to me than the others, plus handles the bugs better, and I feel sure my eyes & pea brain are safer in it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I get claustrophobic with a full face...and I dont wanna look like The Stig...also, in an accident, if the full face is caught under the chin and pushed up, it can break your neck (its been doccumented)...mebbe the new ones now are made differently, but the older fulls were hazzards IMO...half is just to make things legal...and with the 3/4, you can get chin damage (like Im ever gonna be a model)...I like my half for backroads and local, 3/4 for a long hiway ride...honestly, Id rather go helmetless for my vicinity...if yer gonna die, yer gonna die...Id rather die than be crippled for life...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
in an accident, if the full face is caught under the chin and pushed up, it can break your neck (its been doccumented...
Yep, and if you jump out of an airplane or helicopter at 100.326' above water you won't be papa again, and if your chin strap is fastened (guess what happens) you won't even have to worry about it...lol... Chit happens, its just our job to try and let it happen to someone else...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I ride with a half helmet and a windshield and the noise doesn't seem to bad. I even have aftermarket exhaust. I don't think I would feel as secure riding with ear plugs. I gotta know what's going on around me. My safety and the safety of others is more important.

Heck I drove a semi for a couple years. Everytime I came home, I had a difficult time being around any sort of loud noise. Thought I was going insane; however, I realized it was my ears being super sensitive because of the constant drone of my truck.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I ride with a half helmet and a windshield and the noise doesn't seem to bad. I even have aftermarket exhaust. I don't think I would feel as secure riding with ear plugs. I gotta know what's going on around me. My safety and the safety of others is more important.
Doesn't seem bad? Have you tried measuring it? LOL

What's going on around you that you can't hear with ear plugs? After your hearing is gone are you going to stop riding?

Seems folks believe they can't hear anything with earplugs. Likely they never tried them. You can hear everything you need to, and be able to the rest of your life. That's kinda the point here.

And Wolf, if you wear that full face helmet that breaks your neck, isn't that better to you than living with no face? :)

You guys are a hoot....:)

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
Blazblu82, the condition you are referring to is called recruitment. You become more sensitive to loud sounds as you develop high frequency hearing loss. Has anyone gone to a rock concert? You know how your ears ring after that? That is a sign that you have lost some hearing....permanently! You can get ear plugs that only block loud sounds! For those that don't have hearing loss now don't know what you are going to be missing. Wait until you have to ask everyone to repeat things 3 or 4 times and you'll understand. For those that have hearing loss, I'm preaching to the choir. But if you like depression, anxiety, isolation, frustration keep on ignoring my advice. No ear protection = come see me with your checkbook in your pocket! ;o)

BTW I've made thousands of skydives out of very loud airplanes with no door - I wore ear protection and I don't have hearing loss!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
So what if I develop hearing loss. I've been losing my hearing since middle school when I played band. Was I supposed to wear earplugs then? Additionally, I suffer from tinnitus and Diabetes. I think hearing loss is the least of my concerns. Besides, there is always a way to compensate. Deaf people do it all the time, it is called Sign Language.

"Seems folks believe they can't hear anything with earplugs. Likely they never tried them." Are you basing that assumption on my comment or do you have years of doctoral research to back up this claim? Not everybody wants to hear their tinnitus either. Are you also saying that anyone who doesn't wear earplugs are under you?

Don't make assumptions unless you have the evidence to back it up. Everyone is different and are not to be subjugated by anyone's standards.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
And Wolf, if you wear that full face helmet that breaks your neck, isn't that better to you than living with no face?
You havent seen my face then, lol...mebbe the old style full faces were different when I looked at em (neck issues)...regardless, I get claustrophobic and may as well be in a cage then.

Boils down to what's best is whatever the rider prefers, else would be like Big Brother stepping in with their manditory laws. If a full face ever becomes law, then I'll go back to being an outlaw....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts