Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi does any one know what the air pressure in the front forks should be,,cant find it even in haynes..thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I remember correctly from my origonal owners manual,the correct setting was to jack up the front of the bike so the front tire is off the ground.Then you press open the valves( 0 lps.). It seems that very much(more then 20 lbs.) would blow out the fork seals. If you need to add more pressure,use a small bicycle hand pump. It takes very small amounts of air to raise pressure.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
hi does any one know what the air pressure in the front forks should be,,cant find it even in haynes..thanks
I usually run around 10lbs psi and never put more then 15lbs in mine. Don't use anything but a true suspension pump. A bicycle pump or the air at the gas station will blow your seals. A few years ago, I saw a guy put air in at a gas station and blew the seal on his fork. Nasty mess it was...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
FYI - I run in the 8-10 psi range on all my bikes that use fork air. I'm 245lbs and have visions of blowing my seals on speed bumps or crappy roads.

Q: Anyone actually have the air pump designed for forks? My local shop recommends a small hand bicycle pump - the little emergency type - for the forks.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Anyone actually have the air pump designed for forks? My local shop recommends a small hand bicycle pump - the little emergency type - for the forks.
I have the Progressive mini guage air pump. Here is one on eBay just like mine. I purchased it when I had my VN750 for the rear shocks but didn't need it for the front because 1990 VN750's don't have nipples (air forks). But over the years I replaced my rear OEM shocks (with nipples) with Progressive shocks (no nipples - not air shocks) and replaced my front forks with a set from a 1986 VN750 and rebuilt them with Progressive springs. With the addition of the Nomad to my stable, I use the pump on the rear shocks on the Nomad and the front forks on the VN750.

Great tool, never have to worry about putting too much air into the shocks.

Reactions: james brill

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
That picture looks like the one I have for the front forks on my mountain bike (Bicycle) & available at bicycle shops... I use mine on the rear shocks as they are very accurate and don't loose air when you screw the fitting off... My 06 does not have fork air but the book I have says to do as stated above, remove the cap and release the valve to 0#, your normal pressure, but to your taste or desire you can add a small amount not to exceed 31 psi which could pop a seal...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
748 Posts
According to the Clymer's manual, standard is atmospheric pressure (0# with wheel off the ground, as above). Usable range, 0-7.1 psi.

According to my Kaw Service Manual, OEM hardcopy, covering 1985 VN700, and 1986-90, VN750-A2 thru -A6:

Front Fork Air Pressure
Standard: Atmospheric pressure (for one average-built rider with no accessories)
Usable range: 0-49kPa (0-0.5kg/cm sq., 0-7.1 psi)

The caution note following says air exceeding 36 psi may damage the oil seal. The Note above that says, "Lower air pressure is for comfortable riding, but it should be increased for high-speed riding, or riding on bad roads."

Personally, I'd not set it over 7-8 psi. Two-up, most of the weight is going to be over the shocks, except when braking; I would do most of my suspension adjustment there, anyway, as the shocks give a little more leeway. I don't think I would want to go more than 14-15 psi on the forks (per tube), no matter what the load on the bike overall.

Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Progressive Pump

Hi All

My Progressive Pump (PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION GP2-0-60 COMPACT GAUGE PUMP), arrived in Kuala Lumpur last week, already put to good use on two VN750's over here.

Excellent product, pumps up to 60 psi, very small loss of air on removal (0.5 psi on a shock) easily compensated for, highly recommended and well made.

Now a plug for the ebay seller, his shop is HotBikeworks.

Very nice guy to deal with, a pleasure to find on Ebay. This from a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps.

Dave Tucker
Kuala Lumpur

1 - 9 of 9 Posts