Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I wanna shave the ears, do I HAVE to rejet?? I mean can I just twist the rich/lean screws a little? And how bad will it run if I dont rejet?
Funding is a little tight so anything cheap is good. I know I'll lose some mileage, so I'm taking that into consideration since I put 400 to 500 mile per week on her, but I think I'm running rich on my front cylinder already, as I de-goated her two weeks ago and at idle the no. 1 is spuratic at best, and backfires a lot. I haven't yet adjusted the carbs, but what difference will that make if I shave the ears?
Thanks,
Bill

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Yes, I do believe you HAVE to rejet.
As to the backfires..... are you sure there are no leakes in the exhaust, as that will cause exhaust popping (not exactly backfires, as the 2 are different, but often thought of as the same thing)

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Depends which version of the ear shave you want to do, some have done ear shaves that do not require you to upgrade the jets. For your typical ear shave you will have to rejet.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Yes, must rejet or you will run way too lean. The stock intake airbox flow is extremely restictive, when you shave you allow way more air into the cylinders/carbs.

Jon

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Not to reopen this commentary but you don't have to re-jet. I mean, isn't that what the fuel air mix screws are for?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Not to reopen this commentary but you don't have to re-jet. I mean, isn't that what the fuel air mix screws are for?
there aren't any fuel-air mixture screws on the VN750 Carbs. The screw you are referring to only controls fuel flow. On a simple car carburetor (like a Carter YF single barrel down draft carb) you have two adjustment screws, one opens and closes the butterfly while the other screw opens and closes the fuel passage to the fuel orifice. On our Carbs, the screw only deals with the Fuel orifice into the slow jet, affecting only the idle. In order to adjust the amount of air, you need to change the height of the Jet needle by shimming it.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts