498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i did a ear shave and now i cant get the bike to run hardly at all

i have 138 mains
i have 40 pilots
and emgo pods
screws at 3 out
2 shims under the needles

i installed a choke cable while i was at it (it ran fine without it under stock jetting)

when i start it up it takes forever then it sputters bad and i have to have the choke lever pulled back (toward the tank) to get it to run
and as soon as it reves up a bit i have to crack open the throttle to keep her there
i have to rev it up to about 6k or it stalls out and when its there its sputtering the whole time

so i took off the pods and there is fuel inside them and if i run it with out them on it spits fuel out both carbs

i also have some fuel dripping out of the exhaust where the flex pipe is (goat removed)

recent upgrades include
ngk iridiums coolant change
new headlight petcock rebuild
oil change ngk caps
new wires agm battery

am i too lean? rich? different jets?
i am stumped
help please vn750.com

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Sure sounds like you are dumping way to much fuel thru your carbs! Just about bet you have fuel in your oil also!!

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how ? the fuel lines are the same size and i added briggs and stratton filters in them
the only change is the jet size should i go back to the 132 mains that were in there?
take out the shims?

when i got the bike the PO had removed the carb boots and it ran ok until i got some speed and it cut out so i put the boots back on and it ran fine
but i wanted to shave it so i went with the standard stuff as stated on here all over and now it wont run

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Carbs are flooded. Pull your spark plugs and turn the engine over. Gas will spray out the holes. Dry off your plugs and reinsert. Pull the Emgo uni pods off and see what happens. I did the ear shave with 142/42 jets and the universal pods I had on were restrictive. Ended going with 150/42 jets and the K&N pods and have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO problems.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Someone else with the shave exp will chime in here I,m sure. Do not think fuel lines and filters has much to do with fuel coming out of carbs like you describe! Are your plugs wet with fuel? Again I would ck my oil too for fuel.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a set of 152 main sitting here i could try but i thought my138 wouldve been ok. I pulled the pods off and no change. I didnt want to shell out for kn pods but i could if i have too. Why would fuel get in the oil?

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
To much fuel getting into cylinders, passing rings, kinda screws up lubrication and over fills crank case!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You may also want to recheck your needles and the plastic retainer for them. If their not back in proper position it can cause some issues like what you are discribing. Last possibility is to make sure your floats aren't stuck.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess i will have to pull the tank and carbs tomorrow and go over it all again. Should i go to a diff size jet? At about 16 a set id rather not go thru too many and have some sitting around i dont use. Add to that a set of k&n pods is another 40. If i need them

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
No need to rejet, just go through your carbs again. I ran 142/42 without a problem other than the universal uni pods choking the motor at 5000 rpms.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will but i will still have to pull them to go through them right? To get to the jets to see if anythings a miss.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I will but i will still have to pull them to go through them right? To get to the jets to see if anythings a miss.
Right :smiley_th

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do i look for? What if nothing is out of place? How do i know if something is messed up in there? I guess as this is my first go round w carb jetting. I dont know what to look for?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I pulled mine apart to clean on two different occasions and gave up. Took it to a carb shop for cleaning and couldn't be happier. FWIW, my idler jet was clogged.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
it sounds like your floats are sticking for one.. for two, you are using the cheap emego filters. The carb doctor always reccomended going with K&N filters for the shave. also jets should be matched 40/140 or 42/142.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Remove the emgo pods completely. Even the rubber that holds them to the carb. Now go give her a run without any filters.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did that thats how i know its spitting fuel out the carbs. Its sitting on the center stand in the garage i cant run it anywhere as it wont stay running unless i have it at 5k or higher if i let it go below it stalls

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The needle has to go back into the same carb. Also the plastic that holds the needle in place has to go all the way onto the needle or else the needle will not function properly.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will pull the tank in the am. And get to the carbs probly thur as i have to work 12hrstonight tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one in the 12 hour club......

Sounds to me like a stuck float. Your jets aren't big enough to cause fuel spilling out. If it runs at high rpms that just means it's able to burn the excess fuel.

Run some carb cleaner down the fuel lines with the drain screws open. Blow some air through it. Might just be a piece of dirt.

Are both carbs spitting out fuel? If you keep trying to start the bike and it's not running you'll get excess gas, make sure you let this dry out between attempts at getting it running.

Check to see if both needles are raising up when you open the throttle. Could be a bad diaphragm or leak there.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts