Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finaly got the carbs cleaned, ear shave and coastering done and got it all back together... after 10 months of dead down time.. here are the issues I am seeing now:
starting--finaly got it started with mid choke...for some reason the choke cable acts as if it has shrunk????? so the choke is pretty much set at mid way with the lever all the way closed.. cant move it to open on the lever.

While running...finaly got ti to idle.. but I am getting a poping and back fireing at idle

smokeing like crazy.. but got better as it warmed up... could be the sea foam I put in too.

got a bit of an oil leak up front some place and notice a bit of coolent on the floor too!

I have iredium plugs to put in it but have not done so yet.
have a MF battery.. fully charged.
new plug wires ..NGK
Uni-pods on the carbs
jetted to 42 and 142 with 2 shims
filter on crank case and one on the line that used to go to the right ear.
right card vent line plugged.
air/fuel screws out 2.5 turns.
I still have goat belly but have strait pipes for mufflers.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Ok so I finaly got the carbs cleaned, ear shave and coastering done and got it all back together... after 10 months of dead down time.. here are the issues I am seeing now:
starting--finaly got it started with mid choke...for some reason the choke cable acts as if it has shrunk????? so the choke is pretty much set at mid way with the lever all the way closed.. cant move it to open on the lever.

While running...finaly got ti to idle.. but I am getting a poping and back fireing at idle

smokeing like crazy.. but got better as it warmed up... could be the sea foam I put in too.

got a bit of an oil leak up front some place and notice a bit of coolent on the floor too!

I have iredium plugs to put in it but have not done so yet.
have a MF battery.. fully charged.
new plug wires ..NGK
Uni-pods on the carbs
jetted to 42 and 142 with 2 shims
filter on crank case and one on the line that used to go to the right ear.
right card vent line plugged.
air/fuel screws out 2.5 turns.
I still have goat belly but have strait pipes for mufflers.
Well with the coolant leak try to pin point exactly where the coolant is leaking from. I had the same problem with mine, and I saw it coming from the radiator. I put a little stop leak in there, an no more coolant leak. It could be a cracked hole, loose hose clamp. I do recommend replacing all the hose clamps.

With the popping at idle there could be water in the fuel causing it to do that. Maybe the plugs are bad, or there is a piece I was told on the exhaust could cause that as well if it's not set right or worn.

Take some WD-40 spray both ends of the chock cable see if that helps. You may have to adjust the nuts on the cable as well to give it a little extra length. If that doesn't work replace the cable.

Sea foam shouldn't cause that problem it might have to much oil in the motor.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks .. those are all good idea to check.. will get on that tomorrow maybe if I can... jsut found a leak at the tank too.. good times.. but hey it was a parts bike I got for $175 and ahve only about $250 extra into it.. its been a long project..LOL

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Thanks .. those are all good idea to check.. will get on that tomorrow maybe if I can... jsut found a leak at the tank too.. good times.. but hey it was a parts bike I got for $175 and ahve only about $250 extra into it.. its been a long project..LOL
Leaks in the tank are always fun to mess with. I had a crack in my tank, and a little mig welder later she was all good to go. Wish you luck with it. Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am just gonna get a new/used tank... I busted a bolt off a ways back putting the new pet pock on and ended up JB welding it to the tank...it dosnt leak there though but at this point would be best to get a new one...I am thinking at this point that I may end up tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding it all.. sucks.. its riddin time dang it!

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
I think I am just gonna get a new/used tank... I busted a bolt off a ways back putting the new pet pock on and ended up JB welding it to the tank...it dosnt leak there though but at this point would be best to get a new one...I am thinking at this point that I may end up tearing the whole thing down and rebuilding it all.. sucks.. its riddin time dang it!
If you get a new tank for the bike would you sell me that one?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I would do that.. but the bolt that was busted also has a broken extractor in it (hardest substance known to man!).. other than that and the leaks its in good shape...LOL... would probably only charge you shipping for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I hate you:smiley_th I'm into mine for what I felt was reasonable-$1600. But what a deal you got. Even with the issues!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is what the wife keeps telling me every time I say.. "up the insurance.. let the gas run.. light a cig.. drop it and walk away"...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts