Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at pictures of bikes that have the ear shave, it brings to mind a big question. How does it work with rain? With the ears on you've got a nice rubber hose over the opening while with the ear shave you have a filter right over it and just looking at it, seems like it would just be a nice big funnel for water and im not the kind of person so say "its raining i dont feel like getting wet" f**k that if i wana ride, im gonna ride despite the weather, so are my assumptions that the ear shave will just turn my air filter system into a funnel straight into the carbs for rain correct?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I run k&n pods in rain,snow,sleet,and hail and it runs fine.the only thing i haven't ridden in are hurricans,tornadoes and fire.in those situations i don't think anything will help . ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
You'd have to submerge a filter for it to suck in enough water to cause a problem.
Your motor is always pulling a certain amount of water into itself, as air always contains some moisture. (excepting specific areas of a desert)
Water vapor in fact is good for an engine. Motors run best on cool moist air.

Because liquid water is so much denser (and heavier) than air, it's just alot easier for the motor to just suck more air into the filter then pull water through it.
I proved this once to a freind by putting a K+N filter on the hose of a shop vac and sticking the filter 1/4 way into a bowl of water. After a full minute I showed him the inside of the vacuum hose and the inside of the vacuum too... Not one drop of water......

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! After i got to thinking about this i was really going against the ear shave on my bike, but with what you've all said its back on my "to do" list.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
If you do decide to ride in the rain, make sure your jacket isn't tucked into your pants. man did I get a wet wally one day cause I wasn't paying attention when I put my rain suit on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts