Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to do the ear shave for a while because I think the surge tank is one of the design flaws in this bike and it is enough to make me not want to pull the carbs often. My question is if riding with pod filters in the rain is an issue. My fear is blocking air flow or at worst hydro lock. Do the covers work well to prevent this? Not riding in the rain isn't a good option for me and this is one of my two shaft drive bikes so if I want to ride and it's raining, it's my best option.

Ideally I'd do the ear shave, add some aftermarket pipes to replace my stock ones. My baffle connections have rusted through to the point that they're just hanging by the mounting bracket but in no way attached to the exhaust. I'd also rejet I think 2 sizes up on the main and one on the pilot jet

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
I've only been caught in a hard rain once, but had no trouble with the pods. You'd have to run full throttle into a river to get hydrolock.

I have run into trouble the first couple of washes with pods on. She didn't start right away, had to pull the filters, start, stick them back on.

Now I'm just careful about spraying around the pods.

Actually, ingesting small amounts of water will remove carbon from the combustion chambers, like steam cleaning. I've done that quite a bit on engines.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts
I've run pods on a vn700 through rain,sleet, snow, torrential downpours, and almost blizzard like conditions with no problems. Like Spockster said, you'd have to run it into a river to hydrolock

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spockster

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
I've run pods on a vn700 through rain,sleet, snow, torrential downpours, and almost blizzard like conditions with no problems. Like Spockster said, you'd have to run it into a river to hydrolock

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk
Yes, you'd probably have to throw a large coffee cup of water into a carb all at once to get hydrolock.

I trickle water into the intake to clean carbon out of engines, haven't locked one yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts