Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the ear shave procedure about 6 months ago. I re-jetted and everything per the instructions. I believe I read a post that after this procedure, you could have difficulty re-starting the bike when the engine is warm/hot, but I can't seem to find the post.
Anyway, my bike DID have this problem. After riding for a while and stopping the bike, it wouldn't struggle to start again if the engine was still warm/hot. It would try to turn over for about 3-5 seconds, then a LOUD backfire would occur. After the backfire, it would start up immediately with no problem.
I've been dealing with this problem up until now, although it is quite embarressing when at a gas station or parking lot with people around. So the other day I rode my bike home from work (about 20 minutes on the highway at 70mph). After being home for about 15 minutes I went to start my bike again. Same issue...after 3-5 seconds of trying to turn over, a very loud backfire...yet this time, it still would start. I tried again for another 3-5 seconds, and then a second backfire, but this one not as loud as the first. I gave up at that point because I was in a hurry to get to my next destination, so I just drove my truck.
Does anyone know what I can do to alleviate this backfire issue?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
check to make sure your fuel tank vents are not clogged.

Read about "POOGS" and see if that helps.

At one time I had a partial clog in the vent line and it did the same thing to me. All the other things mentioned above will also help.

fuel starvation....wears down the battery....big bang!! :doh:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I did the ear shave procedure about 6 months ago. I re-jetted and everything per the instructions. I believe I read a post that after this procedure, you could have difficulty re-starting the bike when the engine is warm/hot, but I can't seem to find the post.
Anyway, my bike DID have this problem. After riding for a while and stopping the bike, it wouldn't struggle to start again if the engine was still warm/hot. It would try to turn over for about 3-5 seconds, then a LOUD backfire would occur. After the backfire, it would start up immediately with no problem.

Does anyone know what I can do to alleviate this backfire issue?
Thanks!
Bet if you pull the plugs, they are wet. Backfire is probably ignition of unburnt fuel in exhaust.
Check the plugs

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Youre not by chance twisting your throttle when cranking, are you ? That would cause gas from the float bowls to enter the cyl and could cause similar.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
It is ussually the battery.
yup.mine does that when the battery gets low.put it on the charger for a while and she starts fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts