Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to do an ear shave a different way? All I’m looking to do is take the stock filter boxes off and put in the pods. Simple and easy.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Doesn't make sense to skip the rest, such as airbox delete and coasters. You gain so much space (for carb removal) and clean up so much clutter by using coasters or at least capping the air system.

I don't feel that re-jetting is automatically necessary, mine runs great with stock jets, and others have done the same.

There's also the problem of open hoses if the plumbing is left in place.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Has anyone tried to do an ear shave a different way? All I’m looking to do is take the stock filter boxes off and put in the pods. Simple and easy.
if that is all you want to achieve, just snatch the rubber air inlet tubes from the surge tank to the carbs off.. install pods on the carbs.

if your looking to keep the look of the 'ears', you can leave them installed and remove the rest of the junk (surge tank, hoses, emissions crud)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm working on an Ear Shave, but leaving the reed valves in place. I like the pop on decel, but I want a less restricted intake.

I am hoping to leave the surge tank in there too (if only to be able to reverse the mod later on).

I bought 3 crankcase filters (standard mod specifies 2). The third will be to filter the air going to the reed valves.

I rejeted the mains to 138, leaving the pilots alone. No shims. My hope is to keep on the leaner side for mpg, but rich on WOT.

I have been putting it off most of the winter, but spring is coming soon! I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if that is all you want to achieve, just snatch the rubber air inlet tubes from the surge tank to the carbs off.. install pods on the carbs.

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll end up doing that instead of having to take out the surge tank. I really just want to get the ears off and put pods on.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
leaving the surge tank in is easier now, but when (not if) the carbs need to come out, the surge tank needs to come out first. you can save yourself work later by doing it now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

if your looking to keep the look of the 'ears', you can leave them installed and remove the rest of the junk (surge tank, hoses, emissions crud)
If I do just take off the tubes from the surge tank to the carbs and install pods on the carbs, do I have to add the crankcase filter?

·
Registered
544 Posts
You also need to filter the carb vents, and the air bypass (unless you do the coaster mod). I like the decel pop, so I have two pods and three small filters on my bike. Don't ask me where I mounted them, because they are still hanging by their hose.

The carbs do come out without removing the surge tank. It's difficult, but possible, because I have done it. In fact, I have to do it again, because they leak after my rejet job. I am going to replace a bunch of gaskets.

Hope to be back up and running sometime next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All take note; if you ever open carbs for the first time, order a carb rebuild kit for $50 and replace all gaskets because old or original gaskets will leak once cracked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All take note; if you ever open carbs for the first time, order a carb rebuild kit for $50 and replace all gaskets because old or original gaskets will leak once cracked.
Noted as Im about to do mine for the first time. I just want to ride so I planned on cleaning and dropping the carbs back in until next weekend and tearing them back out to rebuild

Is the ear shave mod more time consuming than taking and replacing carbs the first time? Kind of curious as to how it works and everything that goes into it

Not trying to yhread hijack...Dont turn me into a speedbump

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I used Dorman heater hose delete rubber caps from Autozone instead of marbles or coasters. The hoses can be removed form the surge tank. I totally and completely recommend removing and disposing of ALL emissions related crap. There is a 5 gallon bucket full of it on CA models. There is an advantage to leaving the surge tank in place, and keeping all the parts you removed, like the ducts and air filter housings. That way you can put it back to stock if you should decide to, or if you sell it and the buyer wants to go back to stock. I have found a few bikes on Craigslist over the years that I would have probably bought except they had been chopped up, and the original parts were gone. One in particular almost me cry. This guy had a beautiful 1987 Honda Rebel 450, but it had a crappy looking aftermarket exhaust on it. I asked him if he still had the stock exhaust, and he said he threw it away. I just turned around and walked away. There are a lot of people who would pay $500 for a stock exhaust in good condition for that particular bike. It was only made for 2 years. I don't see the Vulcan 750 ever becoming a collectors item, but considering how long it was made, there doesn't seem to be many still around.

Just go to one of the online parts places and check the prices of a lot of the parts people throw away when making modifications. IF they are available at all. There are almost $1000 worth of parts that usually get removed when people do the "ear removal procedure" The "surge tank" is no longer available new and I have 2 of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts