Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me apologize in advance for being so needy. Normally I'm a little more adept at problem solving, but I'm new to wrenching on bikes.

I recently completed the ear shave on my 96. In the process I pulled all the EPA / CA emissions, plugged the left vent on the tank (as you sit on the bike) and ran a new hose for the right vent under the bike. My problem now (will they ever end?) is that the vent tube is dripping gas. There is a spot on the newspaper I put down on Sunday about the size of a quarter. The tip of the hose is also moist. Any thoughts on this? My first instinct is maybe the gas cap is not sealing properly. Maybe?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Is the tank full, mine will do that if the tank is to full.
Expecally if you fill the tank on the centerstand and park it on the side stand.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope

Nope - in fact she's right at the little white line (on the gauge) that is the next up from the E line.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are you sure you plugged the right vent? I've got a CA tank at home, but can't get there from here right now to check it...

Jim

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Therein lies the problem. Some folks said plug the right vent and others said the left vent gets plugged. The coasters I got from SCP said plug the left vent and run the right one to the bottom. Some of the posts I read about fuel leaks said people had leaky O rings in the gas cap, but I have no leaks anywhere, so I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah, the CA tanks are different. On a California bike, both tubes off the tank go to the separator/return pump. The one going in the top comes from the vent at the cap; the one going in the side of the separator is the return line to the tank. When both have been removed, and the emission system pulled, unless you remembered to mark which was which...

Easy way to tell, is open the gas cap, then attach a hose to either vent tube at the rear of the tank. Blow thru the hose; if air comes out the opening at the rear of the filler cap opening, there's yer vent tube. If it doesn't, stick the hose on the other tube, and check it.

Jim

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, that's why I like this forum. Even when the answer is simple, nd in this case, something I already knew but had not tried because I forgot about it, people are still very helpful. I opened my tank and blew into each of the vents at the bottom. One blew air into the tank - obviously the return line. One blew air into the vent ring at the top, obviously the pressure vent. And it was the left one that needed to be open, so of course, since I plugged the one on the left, which goes into the tank, no suprise gas was coming out.... BTW - the one that vents pressure (left on my bike) is the blue one. I would guess the blue stands for air, since the other one is red, which probably means fire. Thanks!

·
Registered
748 Posts
You know, that's why I like this forum. Even when the answer is simple, nd in this case, something I already knew but had not tried because I forgot about it
Or know there's a simple way, but can't quite place what it was...

BTDT! My sister calls it Oldtimer's Disease; says I've got it bad. I told her it's hereditary; and she's not that far behind me!

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts