Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fork doesn't leak, but the dust seal is coming apart.

Is that an easy/inexpensive repair? The oil seal seems to be a big undertaking, but since there is no oil leaking anywhere, I'm hoping I can slide a new seal on and hit the road.

The other question is, since the seal rubber looks good around the pipe, and it's just rusty around the base and "lifting up" can I just put some silicone around the base?

I only ride about 8 miles to and from work, at around 40 mph max. This is my first bike, $200, plus another $250 getting it running well, and new tires. I hope to get comfortable on this bike, and then splurge on a newer bike. ( This one isn't bad, but it looks like a $200 bike, and with 67K miles on it, I'm not sure I want to put a whole lot more money in it.)

Thanks
Bob

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Just doing the dust seal should be fine if the forks aren't leaking.

One trick to try as soon as you do notice a leaking fork, is to get something like a 35mm film negative, and gently slide it between the seals and the fork tube. slowly work your way around the tube in a way that any small bits of dirt will be pulled up and out of the seal.

Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I have had problems with the dust seals rusting in the past. Water tends to get under them eventually. I put a little silicone under them when I replace them, not too much though or it will go on the fork slider which isn't a good idea. When the silicone has cured, just trim off the excess with a sharp knife. Have never had rust problems since.:beerchug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts