Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel like a moron asking this but I am new to motorcycles. I saw in the recent KeyCode thread someone mentioned a "HELMET LOCK". So I got to the back of my bike, and sure as balls there are some little locking things there. Can somebody explain how to use these? Do I need a cable or something? Feel free to berate with insults, you can't call me anything I havnt already called myself.
HEH

:lockd:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
lol I wondered about them myself when I first read about them... but I didn't find any on my bike though :(

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
lol I wondered about them myself when I first read about them... but I didn't find any on my bike though :(
you put the key in them(ignition) and turn them and the little bar slide open, take D- ring of your helmet strap and turn the lock shut ,remove the key,helmet locked,it's magic;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey BigBlue, folks that have been riding for a while take these simple things for granted. But don't feel bad. We all ask dumb questions in the beginning, especially (like me) starting late in life. Hang around the forum. Read profusely. You'll learn the lingo and all about your bike soon enough. Heck, go ahead and ask some "dumb" questions. Some may laugh, but you'll get your answers. You too will laugh later when somone asks, "What's a helmet lock? Do I have one of those, or can I buy an aftermarket one?" LOL. Hang in there!

John

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
you put the key in them(ignition) and turn them and the little bar slide open, take D- ring of your helmet strap and turn the lock shut ,remove the key,helmet locked,it's magic;)
its magic, thats funny!
they are great if you go shopping on the bike, I hated carrying my helmet around walmart. my ignition key did not fit mine when I got my bike so I had to rekey it to fit my key, one of the po's (previous owners) must have changed the ignition!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Last year when I got my motorcycle license and bought a vulcan I seen the bracket and asked my mechanic what it was for. He told me it was for the helmet and showed me how it worked. No question is stupid especially if you have never experienced things like the helmet lock. So anytime I get a oil change or even have my mechanic check my tire pressure I always tip him and while I am there I ask a bunch of questions and get things checked out for free. Yes i know how to check tire pressure but it gets me in the door at my mechanic and I love tipping him ten bucks after I ask him does that look right? Is this suppose to be like this? lol!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
So I feel like a moron asking this but I am new to motorcycles. I saw in the recent KeyCode thread someone mentioned a "HELMET LOCK". So I got to the back of my bike, and sure as balls there are some little locking things there. Can somebody explain how to use these? Do I need a cable or something? Feel free to berate with insults, you can't call me anything I havnt already called myself.
HEH:lockd:
No question is a dumb question if you don't know, well maybe one, the one you don't ask...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Keep in mind that anyone can just cut the D ring off at the strap and walk away with your helmet. If you have a $400 dollar helmet you might want to avoid using these locks.

Yes, cutting the D ring off may ruin the helmet, but new D rings can be sewn on , often poorly, and your lid will end up on Ebay selling for a half price. Druggies don't care if they ruin the helmets function, as they can still get enough money at a pawn shop for it to make it worth the trouble. Only takes a sharp knife.

Not saying the locks are useless, just be aware of their limits. If you want better security a strong lock and a cable fed through the visor opening of your full face and wrapped around a part of the frame will stop just about every would be crook.

I always took my helmet with me. Made a nice shopping bag for small items,always started intresting conversations, and made a wonderfull "club" to swing if I came out of the store and found someone messing with my bike.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Keep in mind that anyone can just cut the D ring off at the strap and walk away with your helmet. If you have a $400 dollar helmet you might want to avoid using these locks.

Yes, cutting the D ring off may ruin the helmet, but new D rings can be sewn on , often poorly, and your lid will end up on Ebay selling for a half price. Druggies don't care if they ruin the helmets function, as they can still get enough money at a pawn shop for it to make it worth the trouble. Only takes a sharp knife.

Not saying the locks are useless, just be aware of their limits. If you want better security a strong lock and a cable fed through the visor opening of your full face and wrapped around a part of the frame will stop just about every would be crook.

I always took my helmet with me. Made a nice shopping bag for small items,always started intresting conversations, and made a wonderfull "club" to swing if I came out of the store and found someone messing with my bike.

KM
this is true about cutting the strap,I wouldn't trust them very far either. If you make a cable you can also run it thru the sleeves of your jacket so no one walks off with it easily.The helmet lock on the bike does what most locks do.It keeps honest people honest, a die hard thief is going to get it if he wants it,and as tor the "it's magic" I was just laughing with you ,not at you. After all you said we could.Feel free to ask anything other wise you will never learn nothing new.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Yep, about all I do is enough to keep a kid from becoming a thief... I don't have the locks, but I do carry a bicycle combo lock cable and put it around the wheel & fork & thru the ring and hang my helmet on my Hwy. peg, the time or two I have thought I should...
I don't figure I would stop a real thief, unless, oh well...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts
Old thread but I just found these locks on my bike yesterday and wanted to bump it for any other noobs. I was more excited about this than I should have been! Yay!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I found them hard to use with a full face helmet, but it can be done.

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts
I agree. It was hard to use. I have a full face where the front portion flips up. I flipped it up and have the turn signal inside the helmet. Took me a bit of time but next time ill be faster and from now on I'll have better peace of mind leaving the helmet behind. I've also considered using a lockable carabiner ring to attach the helmet to the lock on the bike. Not sure it would fit.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I agree. It was hard to use. I have a full face where the front portion flips up. I flipped it up and have the turn signal inside the helmet. Took me a bit of time but next time ill be faster and from now on I'll have better peace of mind leaving the helmet behind. I've also considered using a lockable carabiner ring to attach the helmet to the lock on the bike. Not sure it would fit.
Not really sure I understand why you believe it is difficult to use. They may be pretty much useless but they are only suppose to go through the round metal cinch pieces on your chin strap. Do you have something different than the "D" style clips? If someone really wants your helmet they can easily get it off of the stock helmet locks just by cutting the strap or cutting the metal ring.

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts
Not really sure I understand why you believe it is difficult to use. They may be pretty much useless but they are only suppose to go through the round metal cinch pieces on your chin strap. Do you have something different than the "D" style clips? If someone really wants your helmet they can easily get it off of the stock helmet locks just by cutting the strap or cutting the metal ring.

On my helmet, the strap with the D clip is pretty short. Only a few inches... So it is not easy to get the lock through it, especially with saddle bags there. Then I have to get my hand all up like a T Rex arm to be able to turn the key to lock it, since the helmet and the bag are now in the way.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I found a nice small cable lock with a four digit combination lock at Walmart for $6.00 that I carry with me...(in the bicycle section).mostly to lock my wife's helmet up as mine fits in my tail case.
I think Kuryakin makes a nice helmet lock that fits into the end of the handle bar like a bar-end weight. Likely more than six bucks however....

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found a nice small cable lock with a four digit combination lock at Walmart for $6.00 that I carry with me...(in the bicycle section).mostly to lock my wife's helmet up as mine fits in my tail case.
I think Kuryakin makes a nice helmet lock that fits into the end of the handle bar like a bar-end weight. Likely more than six bucks however....
This is the only use I've found for those little cable locks that come with most pistols.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I found a nice small cable lock with a four digit combination lock at Walmart for $6.00 that I carry with me...(in the bicycle section).
That's what I did. I like my helmet to fit over the passenger back rest, so I just extended the reach of the helmet lock with a small cheap cable. Although since moving from the city to the country, I haven't found a terrible need for it. I know what you're going to say KM, "Ya don't need it...till ya did." Is that where you were going? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts