Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: Dump question

What is the best way to put the bike on the center stand? I'm a pretty big guy any way you measure it but I have trouble getting the bike on the center stand. My method has been to push down on the stand's footing on the left side, stand up, and pull the bike back and up. However, most of the time, about 1/2 way up I lose my balance and the bike comes back down. I'm a big enough guy that the weight of the bike isn't significant so I'm not worried about dropping it.

-Robert

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm not a really big guy, The way I do it is to get off the bike and take a hold of the seat side rail and and stand on the center stand foot pad and lift. It goes really easy that way. It works for me.

Mcneuby

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Warning: Dump question

What is the best way to put the bike on the center stand? I'm a pretty big guy any way you measure it but I have trouble getting the bike on the center stand. My method has been to push down on the stand's footing on the left side, stand up, and pull the bike back and up. However, most of the time, about 1/2 way up I lose my balance and the bike comes back down. I'm a big enough guy that the weight of the bike isn't significant so I'm not worried about dropping it.

-Robert
I always got off and faced the bike and with the side stand down stood it up and put my right foot on the stand,steadied the bars with my left hand and stepped down firmly once the stand touched the ground and up it went.

Then I did the hokey pokey and turned myself around and that is what it's all about LOL

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
The VN750 is one of th easiest bikes I've ever had to put on the center stand. If you want to do it the hard way, you stay straddled on the seat. Just do as Mcneuby said, and get off to do it.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'm a relatively small guy, but can use the centerstand. You have to mash down on the centerstand with your foot. Put some weight on the stand with your foot. A little lift on the sissy bar rail and your up.
Remember to have the bike straight up when you are doing this. Pushing down on the stand is the key.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I for one have never been able to do it. Technique, I suppose. Even after reading the assorted threads on this I still can't get it up (no pun intended).

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Keep the bike straight up or your energy will be wasted. You need all the weight of the bike to help push the stand into the ground(create friction) and it will dig and pop the bike up simultaneously lifting with rt hand.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yep. Stand on the centerstand while pulling up below the seat.
Put ALL your weight on the centerstand, and it will pop right up, no problem.
Do NOT be afraid of the bike falling over.

Good Luck!

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
And if you're still not gettin it... check out the VIDEO in this thread. Take it easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It gets easier each time. I've only lifted mine on the center stand 3 times. First time I had to get the wife to help, then I watched a video and read tips on here, the 2nd and 3rd times have each been easier. Put a lot of pressure downward on the center stand, while gently rocking, and keeping both feet of the stand on the ground.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was finally able to do it several times in a row last night. I straddled the bike, held the stand down with my left foot and rocked the bike back and forth a couple times. Then when the bike was rocking back I just hauled back and up on the handle bar and it popped up on the stand. I was able to do this several times in a row.

-Robert

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
You can do this too. Scroll to 3:49 and watch what the dude does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lbnHxBtSA
That's basically how you do it with the VN750, except you don't need to pull up much with your arms. Most of the effort is in pushing down with your foot. I've even gotten it up on the center stand without using my arms at all - just pushing down with my foot. That's why I say it's so easy.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
I for one have never been able to do it. Technique, I suppose. Even after reading the assorted threads on this I still can't get it up (no pun intended).
How much do you weigh?

I am just under 150 and have a bad back. Always had a problem with the Vulcan.

For the FJR , which weighs a good 100 lbs more, basicly impossible for me.

So what I did was find a length of steel that I could hook onto the tang of the centerstand, which would extend it about 2 feet. Now with the added leverage the thing pops up as soon as I just shift some weight to the added lever....don't even have to bend over to grab the bike.

KM

·
Registered
61 Posts
for me, it's 2 key parts.

1 (hold the bike straight up) use the side lever of centerstand to make sure that both feet of the center stand are on the ground

2 Step straight down on it with all you got and just use your hands & arms to balance the bike. Your weight and leverage of the centerstand should pop it right up.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Check out THIS VIDEO. It's very instructional on how to use a center stand. I was unable to get my baby up on it's center stand until I followed this video. It is so easy now.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 240.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 240.
Then watch the video. If you are over 180 lbs , that weight should be sufficaint to get the bike up, as all the centerstand is really just a lever.... the more you weigh the easier it should be.

Hold the bike straight up, make sure both feet of the stand are touching the ground and stand with all your weight on the end of the centerstands tang....while guiding the bike straight back with your left hand on the left grip and your right hand just behind the upper shock bolt.

It helps to wear hard sole shoes, tennis shoes or flip flops ain't going to help you out.

KM

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I'm 155 5' 11" and have no prob, like they said. left hand on handlebars, right hand under grab rail, while pushin down all your weight on your right foot on the centerstand lift a little with your right hand all in one motion, should pop right up! and yes it gets easier the more you do it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts