Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these are dumb questions but i am new to motorcycles. When not driving my bike do i need to turn the petcock to off or does it matter? When should i run fuel stabilizer in my gas tank , I know you should run it when bike is going to be sitting up for a while, but what is considered awhile?

Thanks for the help and excuse my ignorance.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
OK, first off, any question you don't know the answer to ISN'T a dumb question.......
Unless you don't ask it!!!!

The fuel is drawn into the carbs by way of vacuum, only when the bike is running.
There is no need to turn the petcock off.

Most here use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, fuel system cleaner. It's often suggested to run it every 3 or so tankfuls at about 3 oz per tank.
Exact measurements aren't necessary. Just guesstimate. Too much wont hurt anything.

Most here also recommend NOT using Stabil.

I'd say if you bike is going to sit for more than a month, add atleast 3 oz of Seafoam, take the bike for a ride to get the Seafoam through the system, then park it.

Any other question, just ask.
Most answers can be found using the search function :smiley_th, but that can lead you to so many results that it's sometimes hard to find the answer you're looking for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, first off, any question you don't know the answer to ISN'T a dumb question.......
Unless you don't ask it!!!!

The fuel is drawn into the carbs by way of vacuum, only when the bike is running.
There is no need to turn the petcock off.

Most here use Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, fuel system cleaner. It's often suggested to run it every 3 or so tankfuls at about 3 oz per tank.
Exact measurements aren't necessary. Just guesstimate. Too much wont hurt anything.

Most here also recommend NOT using Stabil.

I'd say if you bike is going to sit for more than a month, add atleast 3 oz of Seafoam, take the bike for a ride to get the Seafoam through the system, then park it.

Any other question, just ask.
Most answers can be found using the search function :smiley_th, but that can lead you to so many results that it's sometimes hard to find the answer you're looking for.
very helpful thanks! i would not have not known about using seafoam instead of stabil. thanks again.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Just a note about your fuel petcock: I turn mine to off when I park my baby in a public place just to possibly confound a would-be thief. They wouldn't get too far before they ran out of gas. Most car/bike thieves in my area are teenagers who probably don't know the particulars of our bikes and might not know to look for the petcock. Other than that, no real need to turn it off routinely.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a note about your fuel petcock: I turn mine to off when I park my baby in a public place just to possibly confound a would-be thief. They wouldn't get too far before they ran out of gas. Most car/bike thieves in my area are teenagers who probably don't know the particulars of our bikes and might not know to look for the petcock. Other than that, no real need to turn it off routinely.
Yea thats true, probably be a good idea to run a separate kill switch from the battery that is hidden somewhere you could switch it on and off when your not riding. I have thought about doing that in my car when i lived in town here and car theft was high.

And I will bet on Seafoam - see this article and also the video link in the thread
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9619

Thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Turn petcock off at end of season, Use 1 can of seafoam in full tank, wont harm it any, run for 5 minutes, shut off petcock and let carbs run dry with engine running , then park it for season, if you wish not to do the winter starts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts