Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently open trailered '94 vn 750 on vacation. Arrived ran great, enjoyed week of coastal cruising. On return ran into violent rain storms. The type that requires you to pull off interstate. I did due to trailer visibility. At home, it cranked to move from trailer to garage. Next day, cutting out and backfiring both cylinders at ~3,500 rpm. Replaced fuel, added Lucas treatment, little improvement. Since backfiring, could it be electrical?
Any one had same experiences and were able to resolve? Thanks.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Recently open trailered '94 vn 750 on vacation. Arrived ran great, enjoyed week of coastal cruising. On return ran into violent rain storms. The type that requires you to pull off interstate. I did due to trailer visibility. At home, it cranked to move from trailer to garage. Next day, cutting out and backfiring both cylinders at ~3,500 rpm. Replaced fuel, added Lucas treatment, little improvement. Since backfiring, could it be electrical?
I think more than likely it is electrical... I would get into the fuse bank, inspect & remove all fuses etc., clean and blow out (compressed air) all sockets, coat connections with dielectric grease & reinstall the fuses...
Others can give more & better advise since I no longer have a VN750...
I did about 2-weeks ago ride in the rain (I don't normally, but got caught) and my digital tach. quit working and I thought it was shot, cleaned up and blowed it off with compressed air, still didn't work, but after 3-4 days in my hot tin lizzy shed it started working from the heat dry I guess...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
A while back a member had some kind of problem with his daily ride running poorly/issues....turned out parked on sidestand uncovered, his pods where getting wet (saturated) from heavy & daily rains.

...just a thought

:smiley_th

·
R/R = Relocated *******
628 Posts
I would try draining the fuel bowls in the carbs, maybe some water there. See what that does. Do you still have the stock intake our have you done the ear shave? Also check voltage at the battery and coils. Low voltage could be the source.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would also check around the sparkplug boots. Could have water in the plug holes, causing a short for the plug fire.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A while back a member had some kind of problem with his daily ride running poorly/issues....turned out parked on sidestand uncovered, his pods where getting wet (saturated) from heavy & daily rains.

...just a thought

:smiley_th
That would of been mine. What set up do you have intake and exhaust wise? I assume you have some sort of independent dual exhaust knowing both are misfiring? People really need to quit using advertised additives like Lucas, Seafoam and the like! They do nothing but hide the real problems more!

First thing to do, drain both carb bowls. It's either a 3 or 4mm allen wrench (keep forgeting which one exactly) to the drain plugs on the bowls. Only needs about one turn on each one, will drain in about a minute or less a piece. Do that and then see how it runs after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts