Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped it stationary that is. Had just pulled in at the store, spotted a good place to park the bike. Stopped, and for some reason this time, with the engine running, with the clutch lever in, I put out the sidestand, leaned on it and shifted to neutral indicator ON. Or so I thought... Relased the clutch and the bike jumped forward and fell over. The engine stopped in the process. WTF?? The neutral light came on, but it wasnt in neutral...
Lesson learned I guess. NEVER assume the neutral light means it IS in neutral, and why the #Æxx didnt I stop the engine before i put the side stand down?? And why didnt I release the cluch very carefully, just to be sure, as I always do normally?? Clutch lever crooked as crap, barely useable, but luckily that was it ! Ordered a new one when I got home.
Has anyone else had the neutral indicator come on when it still is in gear? Maybe yet another issue that need to be fixed....

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I've had that happen with the light, but not with this bike. Didn't go down though.

Coffee grinder put me down on the Vulcan.

Then there's the time I was in such a hurry, I got off the bike and didn't put the kickstand down before walking away. Double embarrassing.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Well, yeah, you should never attempt to put the bike on the side stand while it’s still running. It’s not hard to accidentally tap the shift lever into 1st. Am guessing you also let go of the front brake lever, which you shouldn’t do until the bike is safely on the stand.
The neutral light can go on when it’s transitioning from being in gear to not (and visa versa) this is usually just because your shift wasn’t hard enough or done too slow.
That said, if your bike is in gear and stopped, but still running, the clutch switch and side stand switch should have killed the engine the moment you let go of the clutch lever.
It’s possible that when this happens the bike can move forward a few inches before the engine dies, I’m not sure, as I’ve never tested it. Again, a firm grip on the front brake helps to prevent this.
Luckily it sounds like you were not hurt, and there’s minimal damage to the bike.

But don’t feel bad, I’ve dropped my Vulcan in the driveway trying to turn it around, and not learning my lesson did the same thing to my FJR1300 doing the same maneuver. 🙄

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
All or most Kawasaki bikes have the Positive Neutral Finder. If the bike isn't moving above 10mph it can't go into second gear.

So you can make a firm shift to neutral and not worry about hitting second.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for telling me I am not alone in doing embarrasing and stupid things 🥴👍 I still Wonder why I didnt turn off the engine before putting the sidestand down...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All or most Kawasaki bikes have the Positive Neutral Finder. If the bike isn't moving above 10mph it can't go into second gear.

So you can make a firm shift to neutral and not worry about hitting second.
That I didnt know! Sure about that on the 86 750? Good news if that is the case.! I Will find out tomorrow. I have had some trouble getting it in neutral when parking, maybe it just is something wrong with the switch so the indicator light doesnt light up when it should, and now light up when it shouldnt? Tomorrow Will show 👍😀 Have to wait for the sealant around the rubber grommet at the stator cover cures. Fixed an Oil leak there today. (I hope)

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Yep, PNF has been on Kawi for a long time. Makes push starting in 2nd quite a chore.

But, you can be rolling up slow to a stop and catch neutral really easy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had that happen with the light, but not with this bike. Didn't go down though.

Coffee grinder put me down on the Vulcan.

Then there's the time I was in such a hurry, I got off the bike and didn't put the kickstand down before walking away. Double embarrassing.
Oops, You got one more point for embarrasing than me on that one! Ouch. 😬😬😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, PNF has been on Kawi for a long time. Makes push starting in 2nd quite a chore.

But, you can be rolling up slow to a stop and catch neutral really easy.
Oh yes... Been in neutral at a crossing more than once...

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Oops, You got one more point for embarrasing than me on that one! Ouch. 😬😬😁
Last month I tried to ride away with the bike still locked to my railing. The only place I went was right to the ground. It still amazes me how doing something stupid gives you super strength because I stood the bike up with one arm trying to not spill fuel all over my pavement and save my fleeting dignity at the same time!:sneaky:

·
Registered
117 Posts
at least you know your neutral indicator bulb is working.

Reactions: MortenM
1 - 11 of 11 Posts