Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No one to blame but myself. I've heard all the warnings about "lubing the splines" but been too busy (and in denial) that mine could be dry or in need of attention, although I've been meaning to do it since I got it.

While running errands last night, heard an occasional clunk coming somewhere from the drive train after shifting thru gears at low speeds. I thought,"That can't be a good thing." Drove about another 1/2 mile and had to make a U-turn.
While straightening out, lost all forward momentum and heard a horrible sound coming from the rear of the bike like a cement mixer churning concrete. The bike won't budge.

The bike seems to shift thru the gears but just grinds away. Got towed home. My daily driver has now transformed into a "project bike". Bummer. Now I'm driving my POS '92 Plymouth Acclaim with 248,xxx miles. Even worse.

How do I begin to diagnose my issue? What do I look for (i.e., identifying a worn part) in the drive shaft/final drive. Buying new parts is cost prohibitive, so how do you know you're not buying someone else's junk off Ebay that might be nearly as worn out as mine?

Bought the bike with 19k miles; its now got 38k miles. Don't know what other info you need. I have both the Clymer and Haynes manual

-jim :confused:

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
diagnosis is simple... your final drive is stripped. you are going to need to pull the rear tire and look at the splines on both the final drive and the drive shaft, then decide if you need a new drive shaft or not, but you are going to need a new final drive for sure. ask some of the guys that are parting out their bikes if they have one to sell you, or check on fleebay.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The drive shaft is hard to remove. So be sure to get at least the shaft coupler. It can be removed with a long nose snap ring pliers. And it does not require shaft removal.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help, guys. After school is out April 29th I'll have more time to get on it. I sure learned my lesson on this one. Was this most likely caused by my neglect of the splines? Never looked at 'em, let alone lubed 'em. I guess I thought my bike was special and was visited regularly by Moly, the Lube Fairy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Was this most likely caused by my neglect of the splines? Never looked at 'em, let alone lubed 'em. I guess I thought my bike was special and was visited regularly by the Moly, the Lube Fairy.
Hate to say it but I think so. The splines need checked and lubed at 20k max according to the service manual. Not knowing if they were lubed before you got the scoot, that should have been one of the things that you needed to do, but then you put another 20k or so on her. Hope it's not major damage, but from what you described, it doesn't sound hopeful.

Most of us lube the splines at much less that the 20k interval, I think. I check mine in the spring weather I need to or not, mileage wise.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
My next job before Americade....need rear brake pads too, so its a two-fer....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had to fix my stripped splines and the spline lube procedure shown on this site made it a piece of cake. I found this site just a few weeks before mine failed. I wish I had found it a lot sooner.
The rear hub is about 1100.00, so a used one is the way to go. I found a drive shaft and hub on e-Bay and I was sure there would be something wrong with it, but so far so good. I took the coupler off the new shaft and swapped it out with my old one. My old coupling was totally stripped and showed no signs of lube ever being there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts