Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uncertain if this has been attempted, but has anyone ever tried swapping the DS to belt/chain drive? I would imagine the hard part would be find a wheel/spocket combo. Anyways, just curious.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I would think that the difficulty would be in converting on the tranny end, as it would need to change 90 degrees...after that, can be done....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
... if you had access to a cnc machine, lathe, and a milling machine
Do ya ?....and if so, I will ride up there with a half a pig to BBQ...fer a few hrs on the CNC...(my material)...CNC is $100/Hr here. lest ya know somebody....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I know people.. but not here in NY... that I am aware of.. one of the guys I work with might have access to all the above said tools.. I will ask him in two weeks when I go back to work.

I am looking at a lathe, milling machine, and drill press... just need to sell a few things and not let the wife know what I have up my sleeve,

·
Registered
450 Posts
transmission end wouldn't be that hard... if you had access to a cnc machine, lathe, and a milling machine.
Oh? You would have to convert it to a bevel gear and have to securely mount it somehow. From there you can run sprockets and chain, cheapest and easiest way to convert anyway. This is the only reason I like the 800 better, change gears on the fly.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
or, you make a new gear box to remove the bevel gear and add an output shaft to match a normal sprocket, that would line up with the rear wheel

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
and not let the wife know what I have up my sleeve,
...no, no..wouldnt wanna do that, lol....jes letter know whats up yer trouser..

..and if'n ya go "just past" the bevel...what's there ?...a shaft thats perpendicular to the engine, yes ?...so, sheitcan the two bevels, and fab a shaft with either a serrated pulley for a belt, or a sprocket for a chain... I for one would LOVE to see a chain drive on this, that way you could gear the rear sprocket to the type of riding ya do...rear wheel is the easy part....git some nice spoke wheels then...mwaa haa haaa
Was the EN500 chain ?.....hmmmmmmmmm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts