Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if the drive shaft has to be removed to pull the engine on a 1995 VN750? I am replacing the stator for a friend of mine and it looks like the drive shaft has to be removed or is there enough room to move the engine forward without removing the drive shaft? I have everything unhooked except the motor mounts and wanted to be sure how to get it out without damaging the drive shaft itself?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thank You in advance
Jake!

·
Registered
227 Posts
the front bevel gear assembly has to come off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drive shaft has to be removed?????

Hi, Do you mean the housing with the 4 bolts and a rubber seal around it or do you mean the housing with 6 bolts that is bolted directly to the side of the motor? I am not real familiar with Kawasaki engines and dont want to mess this up!
Thank You!
Jake

·
Registered
227 Posts
where it bolts to the side of the motor. You need to disconnect the clutch cable first, then the 7 8MM headed bolts.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Be careful when you undo those bolts, I snapped one on a friends 750 due to the bolt being seized in the engine casing. Had to drill it out & fit a thread insert which added 3 hours to the job. There was no sign of the threads ever having been lubed at the factory & as a lot of us probably know by experience, alloy & steel has a nasty habit of welding itself together. I always put a smear of copper grease on the threads of any bolt that goes into an alloy casting.
Hope the job goes OK. :beerchug:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Good point Ernie !:smiley_th
It would be a good idea to let the bolts soak with some type of penetrating oil, atleast overnight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found that if you remove the final drive and drive shaft you will have more room to remove the engine and also to reinstall. I just finished mine. Lot of work though. Too bad those engineers cold not have designed the left side of the frame as the right. Apparently they never had to replace a stator in a Kawasaki. A very common problem as I found out. God luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if the drive shaft has to be removed to pull the engine on a 1995 VN750? I am replacing the stator for a friend of mine and it looks like the drive shaft has to be removed or is there enough room to move the engine forward without removing the drive shaft? I have everything unhooked except the motor mounts and wanted to be sure how to get it out without damaging the drive shaft itself?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thank You in advance
Jake!
One quick note : The bevel gear cover should be removed. You may need a new gasket if original doesn't come off in one piece.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
I left the bevel gear in place when I pulled my engine. I don't like removing anything that I don't have to.

Also left all the carb cables and exhaust manifolds. Actually, I only tilted the engine, didn't take it all the way out of the frame, so that allowed the cables to stay put, but the bevel gear can stay either way.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
No you do not need to remove either the driveshaft or the bevel gear case. You need to remove the radiator and fan, and front exhaust manifold. The engine can be moved forward and tilted to the right enough to disengage the bevel gear case from the driveshaft. One thing I definitely don't recommend is removing the bevel gear case with the engine and drive shaft in place. There is a strong spring between the engine and bevel gear case, and the front splines on the driveshaft tend to flop around. It is extremely difficult to get the bevel gear case lined up with both the engine and the drive shaft at the same time. I destroyed 2 gear case gaskets before I finally got it. I'd rather pull the entire swing arm off with the drive shaft in it than try that again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do agree with not removing any more off the bike than necessary.Thing are easier if bevel gear cover is removed.I pulled the drive shaft because everything comes apart much easier and to realign everything when reinstalling. Make sure you use a mobile jack. That engine is pretty heavy.You have to be patient with this job. I got it done but would not want to do it again anytime soon .Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I would rather remove a lot of parts that are easy to remove and reinstall than remove something that is going to give you fits when you try to put it back. It may seem like it would take longer, and sometimes it might, but it will be easy. Trying to install that bevel gear case with the engine bolted in place and the driveshaft in place is a nightmare.
Assuming you get enough stuff out of the way, removing the engine is not difficult at all. It might take a lot of wrenching, but it is easy wrenching.

This is a wooden dolly with casters that I originally built to remove air cooled VW engines. It worked fine for the Vulcan 750 engine. I just used some wood shims between the dolly and the engine, and rolled the engine right out from under the bike. Notice that the bevel gear case is still in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts