Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does drilling holes in the clutch basket always cure the coffee grinder clutch problem?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I want to end up doing the mod, since it was done at Kawa as a fix anyways, but I am rarely affected by it. If I hear the noise, then it means I failed to let my bike warm up to proper operating temperature. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Related question: Does this just solve the noise or does it also help the grabbiness of the clutch?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ok Stewart, sounds like your ready to try it. Report back on if it works or not!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, everyone. And thanks for the re-post of the diagram, Chris. I want to do it, but can't do it on my own. I've never messed with a clutch before.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've always used Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil... and have never had a problem. The synthetic is a little thinner at room temperature, so it's already kind of 'warmed up'. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That ^ is interesting. I was wondering why more folks didn't use 5-40 as it would seem to make sense given the clutch problem. Too bad I just changed my oil (10-40 synthetic).

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
That ^ is interesting. I was wondering why more folks didn't use 5-40 as it would seem to make sense given the clutch problem. Too bad I just changed my oil (10-40 synthetic).
Well not everyone using 5-40 reports the same thing. Why don't you ask n2 if he has no problems with clutch grab on his bike when it's 34 degrees out? ;)

It is true certain motor oils have worked well to nullify the coffee grinder symptom for some owners..... But not all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well not everyone using 5-40 reports the same thing. Why don't you ask n2 if he has no problems with clutch grab on his bike when it's 34 degrees out? ;)

It is true certain motor oils have worked well to nullify the coffee grinder symptom for some owners..... But not all.
I don't ride my bike when it's 34º outside! The coldest I've gotten is in the 40's... and I keep my bike in a basement garage that stays warm. :)

However, synthetic oil is thinner at room/cold temperatures than conventional oil... and 5W flows even better when cold. 5W40 Rotella Synthetic (diesel) oil would be the first thing I would try if I had a bike with a grabby clutch... Quick, cheap and easy! :)

Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts