Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I know what this issue is, both my bought new Vulcan 750s have it. But on my bikes it is completely gone by the time the temp gauge needle reaches the second mark from the left side. Since I won't ride the bike until the gauge reaches that mark, it was never an issue for me. I never even had the clutch cover off the '93, I had to replace the friction discs at about 70,000 miles on the '02, as they had become warped, and were causing clutch drag. I put the original springs back in.

Since new clutch baskets are still available (though very expensive) the only risk I see in doing this is damaging the clutch basket. I would be very careful about cleaning off any bits of metal around where you drilled the holes however. The worst thing in the world for an engine is to have bits of metal floating around inside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there. Well today I had some down time, being 35 degrees on a Sunday in Oklahoma. I finally decided to go ahead and do this on mine. In total, it took about 3 hours, since I had to drain the oil, and of all mm sockets in my garage I could not for the life of me find the 8mm to take the cover plate off. So I found a 5/16 socket that did the trick. Then it felt like forever scraping the old gasket off because it was on there real good. I will say the drilling was the hard part because I'm old and my hands were getting cramped, then I thoroughly cleaned out all the shavings. Then it was downhill from there. I put 20w50 valvoline in since thats all AutoZone had today. Finished it up. Started it, and did a short test run and there was no grind! And I have this page to thank. It was hell to deal with since I switched to thicker oil. My bike doesn't necessarily like 10w40. I may try something between that and the 20w50. But till then, I'm glad I did this today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure why your bike "doesn't like" 10w40....it's the recommended oil for these bikes..

I suggest Rottella synthetic which I think is a 15w50....
My first oil change I had used 10w40 as the book calls for. Well after a week or so, I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the engine but it went away shortly. I tried to find the source but was unable to. As the weeks go by it starts to smoke real bad when I warmed her up. So when I took it to shop in town to get new tires on I also had them check the oil pressure. They had said that the pressure was borderline, and that the engine is wanting thicker oil. So he suggested to give the 20w50 a shot.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
That's reverse logic to me. If your oil pressure is low...seems thicker oil would make it worse. As it's still cold out, I'd not suggest using 20w50 anyway...until the heat of summer hits.
If your bikes smoking...again oil weight really wouldn't be a factor there. If your compression is low? and you are in fact burning oil, that's a different issue.
Warming the bike in cold weather can get smoke just from moisture in the exhsust.

If your oil pressure is "borderline" you have a problem with your oil pump, not the oil. (Taking for granted you have the right amount of oil in the bike )

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
another cause of 'borderline' oil pressure could be worn main/rod bearings. in that case, thicker oil may allow the pump to generate more pressure (because its thicker and wont flow thru the worn bearings as easily)

but if you have oil pressure thats not up to par, and changing oil weight 'fixes' it, your just masking the real problem. need to figure out whats up and get it taken care of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coffee grinder blues.

Thanks guys,this problem has been giving me the s##ts for months,thought I was up for a clutch plate change,I will do the mod and check the plates at the same time.Cheers.:motorcycl

·
Registered
57 Posts
CG after oil change

Has anyone noticed if oil type/condition makes a difference?

I picked up my '95 in the fall with 6,200 miles. Between fall and spring rode 1,300 miles without ever experiencing any CG concerns. 2 weeks ago changed the oil and filled with Valvoline conventional 20W50 (labeled for motorcycles). First cold start after that - major CG and clutch grabbing for the first 4 or 5 launches after every cold start.

Thought maybe I had gone with oil that was too thick for local temps (still in the 40s overnight), so I drained and refilled with 10W40, again Valvoline conventional. Same concern, the bike almost wants to jump out from under me for the first few launches.

I've read all above posts, it just seems really weird that it started as soon as I put fresh oil in it. I rode in colder temps in the fall and it was fine...

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Synthetic oil??

First off, I just need to say this is a great site. I bought my first VN750 a month ago and am learing a lot by browsing on here.

So tonight I'm just going through the stickies, cuz that's the really helpful info. I ran into this one and realized that is what my bike is doing. Who knew it was called coffee grinder??? It all makes sense now. It only does is on the first 3 or 4 times from a cold start.

So my question, similar to the post above, is it ok to run synthetic oil in these motors? Would that affect the clutch adversely by causing too little friction, too much slippage, etc.??

Anyway, I know from everyone has a preference of what oil and what weight works best in their bikes. I'd be very interested to see what you all have done in this regards. I did see in one of the "must read" posts about oil brands and weights. Seems like many different options.

Again, thanks for all the good info!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
First off, I just need to say this is a great site. I bought my first VN750 a month ago and am learing a lot by browsing on here.

So tonight I'm just going through the stickies, cuz that's the really helpful info. I ran into this one and realized that is what my bike is doing. Who knew it was called coffee grinder??? It all makes sense now. It only does is on the first 3 or 4 times from a cold start.

So my question, similar to the post above, is it ok to run synthetic oil in these motors? Would that affect the clutch adversely by causing too little friction, too much slippage, etc.??

Anyway, I know from everyone has a preference of what oil and what weight works best in their bikes. I'd be very interested to see what you all have done in this regards. I did see in one of the "must read" posts about oil brands and weights. Seems like many different options.

Again, thanks for all the good info!
You can run synthetic, but it's best stick with motorcycle-specific oil at that point unless you know exactly what you're looking for in-regards to lack of friction modifiers, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
synthetic oil specific for motorcycles is ok to use.. look for JASO MA2 cert.. thats whats safe for our clutches.. other oils will work as well, but not have the JASO MA2 cert, and therefore the oil maker will not certify it to work with wet clutchs

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
As I said, there are other non-motorcycle specific oils you can use. I myself have used Rotella in the past with no problems.

Only stated that the JASO MA2 cert will be as close to a guarantee that is safe for the wet clutch as you can get.

Other components lubricated by the engine oil wont care, just the clutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rotella

Those using the Rotella 15w-40, are you using the conventional or the synthetic?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
Those using the Rotella 15w-40, are you using the conventional or the synthetic?
Thanks
Rotella T 15w40, conventional. Good stuff! Not to be confused with Rotella T6, which is synthetic.

I use the same Rotella T in my power equipment, in 30w.

Clutch was slipping when I first got the bike, stopped slipping after the first oil change with Rotella. Previous owner was apparently clueless on oil, he had fresh oil in the coolant bottle.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Wow we are slipping.this has turned into an oil thread and nobody said "not another oil thread";)

41 - 60 of 71 Posts