Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm using Rotella 15/40 in mine, and the CG noise is bad till it warms up. Mine will grab like crazy and sound like a banshee for a bit. My neighbors look at me kinda funny when I take off from my house. :) I will be drilling mine this winter and I will post pics of the basket and plates before and after. When I drill mine, I'm going to replace the clutch plates and springs.
Those basket holders work great, but is there enough room to get one on the basket with the side cover on? :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I read up in the manual and forum, and I see the center basket is the one that gets drilled, not the outer basket. I have a question tho, if the center basket is the one that gets drilled, in theory how does it work to get rid of the cg noise? Is it to help lube the clutch plates? Because the centrifugal force will be throwing the oil through the holes that are drilled in the inner basket onto the plates, not away from them. I could be looking at it wrong, who knows. :confused:

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
I really need to do this soon. It's been getting much worse ever since it started getting colder. Maybe I'll get it done tomorrow.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I read up in the manual and forum, and I see the center basket is the one that gets drilled, not the outer basket. I have a question tho, if the center basket is the one that gets drilled, in theory how does it work to get rid of the cg noise? Is it to help lube the clutch plates? Because the centrifugal force will be throwing the oil through the holes that are drilled in the inner basket onto the plates, not away from them. I could be looking at it wrong, who knows. :confused:
I am with you, do not understand how drilling the basket helps prevent CG.

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am with you, do not understand how drilling the basket helps prevent CG.

Hey guys,
It's simple. Look at the installed plates and friction discs...they fit/sit inside the basket. A small amount of oil never drains completely from the basket keeping the bottom section of plates & discs soaked (saturated) in the small pool of oil. The plates and discs will slip/grab slip/grab slip/grab until the oil is distributed. Drilling the basket allows the oil to drain completely from the basket.
It's a no-brainer...if comfortable wrenching, do it!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
384 Posts
Okay, I see how in theory it's supposed to work. After you park the bike, the holes are to let the excess oil out of the plates. I suppose it will work, and if people have drilled the baskets and it works, I guess it would be a good thing to do. I might do it to one of my baskets this winter and keep it back for when I need to replace my plates.
Thanks VoIP Doc. :)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
this is my opinion of course but i think it would work better to drain the oil off the plates by drilling the outer basket but drilling the inner would allow the plates to get more oil to them while riding and make them last longer

i have only seen one bike with a drilled basket and it was the outer basket that was drilled

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't have the slightest idea about this but was told by a 30 year motorcycle mechanic that dry plates cause the coffee grinder noice. He is the one that told me to work the clutch during warmup to elimenate this, hence getting the wet clutch plates wet. Has worked everytime for me when the engine is cold(40 degree and less). Castrol 10w40 stopped this at all temps above 40 degree. Seems to me the holes are to let the oil into the basket while the engine is off. The oil drains back to the bottom of the engine when not running, raising the oil level, putting the basket deeper into the oil. Pull the level to disengage the clutch while the engine is not running and it would let oil into the plates and basket, hence oiling the wet clutch plates. If they were intended to be dry it wouldn't be a wet clutch.

My question is: Does drilling the basket at random (free hand) not put the spinning drum out of balance? Drilling consistantly helps but the slightest difference would cause an unbalance, correct?

·
4,508 Posts
The mod in the verses demonstrates a pattern for the drilled holes, appears balanced to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
The mod in the verses demonstrates a pattern for the drilled holes, appears balanced to me.

Yes, as long as you are using the same sized holes and spacing them evenly around the basket you shouldn't be causing any imbalance.

The original directions I saw gave measurements so I wouldn't call it "random".

Over the years there's been debates on exactly what this drilling is supposed to do....let oil in, let oil out, let air in...etc.
I'm not a 100% sure myself......but it appearently works.

·
4,508 Posts
Yes, as long as you are using the same sized holes and spacing them evenly around the basket you shouldn't be causing any imbalance.

The original directions I saw gave measurements so I wouldn't call it "random".

Over the years there's been debates on exactly what this drilling is supposed to do....let oil in, let oil out, let air in...etc.
I'm not a 100% sure myself......but it appearently works.
KM, didn't this mod originally come from MaKaw ?

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
KM, didn't this mod originally come from MaKaw ?

Yes. It was a service bulletin to dealers. (It was not a recall.) seems not all dealers got this info. Gypsy put it up on her website. But the proceedure was issued from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did this today, thanks to all for doing a write up. I'll add my .02.

1. In the clutch replacement write up in the verses KM notes that you don't need to drain your oil to change your clutch plates out if you have it on the side stand. I didn't drain the oil and not a drop spilled out.

2. I picked these up
for $13, wrapped about 3 mm of electrical tape around the teeth to prevent any gouging and wedged them between the flanges on the inside of the basket. Impacted the 30mm bolt right off, no problems whatsoever.
*note, the "large filter wrench" I picked up had a 20 degree bend in the jaw which made it perfect for the job.

3. So far so good. As soon as I was done I fired her up and dropped the clutch just for giggles, and absolutely no chatter. It's chilly in the mornings here, so the true test comes tomorrow morning, but I have high hopes.

I opted for the 1/16" holes, you can always go bigger, but you can't really go smaller. It took me about an hour and a half with the trip to O'reilly's for the wrench.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just finished mine as well. I opted to drain the oil since it was due anyway and filled it with some Retella 15W-40, but made a mess anyway lol. Mod was very straightforward and not too terribly complicated, and I finished in about an hour. I impacted the 30mm nut off with the help of a long screwdriver in between the pressure plate spring bolt bosses and inside of the splined portion of the basket, and impacted it back on. I didn't drill mine as per the instructions, I drilled it in a manner that I ended the same place I started so my holes go out then back in. I don't think it will affect the integrity of the basket doing it this way. I used some right stuff gasket maker and put it all back together. I got ZERO chatter on my short test ride, even with the temperature in the 50s. Another satisfied customer.

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
Finally got around to doing this. First off, I'm glad I came back and checked the size of the holes again: I was about to do 3/16" instead of 3/32"! I'm sure that would not have been good. In any case, once I did this along with an oil change, I fired it up and drove it around briefly without letting it warm up first. No grinding noise whatsoever. And on mine, the noise and jerkiness of the clutch was REALLY bad right before doing it.

So here's another recommendation to do this if you have even the slightest amount of clutch chatter. Well worth it. :smiley_th

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
BTW, I started thinking about why this works. Remember that our bike utilizes a wet clutch, so the holes must allow more oil in between the clutch plates, allowing the system to operate more smoothly. I noticed that when I removed the clutch cover, there was oil sitting inside the clutch basket. It's my guess that the holes allow centrifugal force to spread that oil to the clutch plates.

In any case, I am so happy that I finally took care of doing this. Huge improvement.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have noticed very little "CC" on my '95 Vulcan.But good to know workin the clutch will stop even that little bit.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts