Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, some of you have seen my drifter, others have not. It is a 2000 VN800 Drifter with champagne beige paint on fenders and tank. I picked up 3 rattle cans of black spray flat black and will be doing at minimum the two fenders and tank.

I am excited about this transformation and will keep you all posted. I do not know exactly when I am going to start it, I may wait until winter, either way next year I will be riding what I will be calling the Midnight Retro.

Kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the interest, I am hoping to get a jump on it this weekend. House stuff took priority.... fire wood, wood stove insert research, it does not end it seems. I did take off about a 3" section of the pin striping haha.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya know, if I knew yer exact house, Id come down and help ya...I dont do much all day, you know that...and I can run hvy equip (was a virtuoso on the 580 Case)....I took a run up yer road the other day, but I couldnt tell....
I go down to the corner to get gas and smokes all the time...3x /week...

And youre gonna NEED to get this ! ---- http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22807

Would be so awesome for your Drifter !

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a few things to do tonight when I get home, but I think it is cold enough now to pull fenders and get going on pulling the pin striping off. I am over 50K so its time.

kenny

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
would love to see pics.lots you can do to an 800

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welp, I only had enough time today to pull the front fender - SOB you have to take the front tire off to get the fender off, got to remember that when I go to put it back on! I was able to get it off by scratching the heck out of it, its getting painted black haha.

Anyway - here is the beginning... I had one screw that was a rusted POS broke my 5mm ball head allen wrench in there, sears replaced it - pics here

http://s376.beta.photobucket.com/user/mercury45/library/

Tomorrow got more wood to work on, this will be a at night when I have time project. Bike is still rideable right now, just no front fender - looks mean :)

I wonder what i should do with the wheels, I am sick of shiny - can i paint spokes on the wheels?
Kenny

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Id think about trimming or changing out that front fender though...IMO looks too much like a few Indians, and it aint...I like that its skirted retro style (wanna get one for mine actually), but IMO overdone....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfie, I appreciate that insight, I was thinking about what it would look like with a tiny front fender, kind of like a wheel 'hat' vs fender, just a tiny thing. The only problem is the fender does hold a bunch of crap - reflectors and junk - but its simply that - junk, but it does make the bike visable, maybe a fender painted with all reflective paint haha.

too bad i dont have a fab shop, the ability to save this fender would be neat.

this is a winter project, and I am in no rush so time will tell.

its hard to put the knife to that fender, a new one from kawasaki is 450 bux and hard to find used ones.

I am very bad at visualizing things in my head, the only way i know what the bike will look like with a different color is to do it so to speak - going to be fun.

night time winter project, no more cookies and crappy tv for me.

kenny

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Here ya go brother...

Its on Ebay now...search FLH front fender...bids are up to a lil over a buck right now...if I only had a credit card, Id get it myself...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Not at all bro...and YOU are the one whos wantin to paint it Rat flat black, lol.....but hell, ya wanna just trade fenders ?....I got what you want, and you got what I want....talk to me.....
I just thought an FLH front fender would keep the skirted look, but streamline it some at same time...just think....ya can put chrome bumper rails on it then... ;)
Check out the front fenders for the VN1500 Classic too...I think ya might like em....its almost perfect....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no not rat flat black, actually I saw this and its not exactly what I am going for but its close... And this is what gave me the idea oh back about 6 years ago haha.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Kawasaki-Vulcan1600MeanStreakg.jpg

Come to think of it I forgot all about the Mean streak - i should look for a used one, but I also want a big touring bike too, not enough space, money or time haha.

found this picture of a black drifter, interesting, i would get rid of more chrome - man i hate chrome

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2382/1626864167_d94613d39f_z.jpg?zz=1

I was at a party a few weekends ago and somebody had a can of energy drink or something I should have wrote the name down, the orange and black looked great together.

kenny

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
..are you SURE ???...you said ya wanted more of a distance tourer...the Meanie aint it....check out the Vaquero...I think this is "YOU"....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What i really want is to keep the drifter for medium distance rides, a concours 14 for long distance and the meanie for weekend day rides.... hows that for knowing exactly what I want?

Its just a matter of space and being able to find about 20K haha.

for long distance / touring, i would not want a V.... the councors felt great sitting on it for 10 minutes, but do not know about long trips. Gold wings are nice, pricey but nice.

The black drifter might look good with copper highlights, so what about the spoked wheels can i paint those are is that just ludicrous?

kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The black drifter might look good with copper highlights, so what about the spoked wheels can i paint those are is that just ludicrous?
Not at all....you can paint the wheels and spokes, but spokes vibrate some and the paint could chip off...and forget about adjusting the spokes then too...you'd need to touch up each time....but....if you powdercoat them, that will work....and I think copper trim would be awesome !!!!

Powdercoated spoke wheels....

There's a powdercoater by Pine Island too...reasonable...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder how much it would be to powder coat some wheels.... I never adjusted my spokes and they feel ok I may just paint um.

Ends up I need a rear tire, apparently I still take my left turns harder then my right ones.

I wish they had the eliete 3's with white wall.

Ah well... wolfie did you see that meanie in suffern, DROOLING.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts