Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, today I was again looking over my bike. This time from the bottom up. I noticed what appeared to be some sort of rectangular hole on the bottom of the final drive. Is that some sort of weep hole? for water drainage? Does anyone know?

Thanks

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
That's your circlip-check hole. If you take your final drive off, but forget to put the O-ring circlip back on, it will drip from this hole. It will also drip from this hole if the circlip breaks. A broken circlip is a dangerous situation. Your back tire will just spin in place even with it in gear. You can check the circlip without having to pull the back tire. Put the bike up on the center stand and with it in first gear, see if you can rotate the tire. If it rotates, even if just slightly, the circlip is worn and you will need to replace it.

Dianna - do I get another Biff?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
That was a joke, by the way. But if you are truly leaking fluid, it may be the seal on the final drive.

Fergy? Where are you? You're the final drive expert, tell us what the hole is for, and what to do if there is oil/grease leaking from here...

·
Registered
22 Posts
So is the circlip thing a joke or the leaking thing a joke? I am confused.
Is the rear seal a big deal to replace or should I have an expert mechanic do it?

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The circlip thing was the joke.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I am certainly no expert on final drives, and am waiting on another thread to see if replacing this seal is a big deal or not, but mine is leaking a bit from there too.

Now I'm wondering if it's leaking because of slightly overfilling the final drive with gear oil. I saw that it was leaking, so I opened the filler cap and oil ran out the hole and down the side. I stopped it by putting the cap back on. Maybe I should have let it run until it was even with the hole bottom.?? Someone suggested while filling the final drive, rotating the wheel backwards I believe while filling to make sure you get it full. Seems like I got it over full doing that. Maybe that's why it is leaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts