Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever leaned hard enough in a curve to drag your foot peg? I live for the lean. I push the bike as hard as I safely can into those curves and I don't think I have come close to dragging a peg. The 750 seems to sit a bit higher than some other cruisers. I hear people talking all the time about dragging their pegs in a curve. Maybe I am not pushing as hard as I think I am.

Joe

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Why do you want to drag the pegs ? Got a death wish? For a guy who's just
getting into riding I would think you'd want to learn to keep it up for awhile.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Well Joem, I've noticed the same thing as you since I also enjoy the windy roads. I did some quick calculations:

Measured from the stud in peg to center of bike perpendicular to the frame. This puts me inline with the contact patch of the tires (I realize the contact patch position changes in the turn but I can't really hold the bike up AND measure): 14 inches

Measured from stud in peg straight down (forming a right angle with previous segment): 10 inches

If we want to determine the angle of lean at which the tires and peg make contact we need a little trigonometry. We need to know the measure of the angle from the ground...i'll call it X.

tan X = 14/10

This solves (after rounding) to a 37 degree angle. It's complement will be the angle of lean: 90 - 37 = 53.

So the bike will have to be heeled over 53 degrees before the pegs will touch. Obviously rider weight, tire psi, etc, etc, ad nauseum will change these calulations slightly but...yeah. There ya go.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
wow, this is some extensive analisys, repair man!:smiley_th

i was thinking to just tilt the bike sideways while standing on driveway and note the angle. asked my SO for help but lets just say the question of max lean angle isn't keeping her from sleep at night.

anyways, visually it looks that you are going to run out of tire first. just the thought of scraping the pegs on this bike gives me the kreeps. sure you can scrape your pegs but it probably would involve scraping the handlebar too with the wheels off the ground. :BLAM:

but there is always a happy medium - how about installing extended pegs just for scraping? ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No death wish, just curiosity. I've seen lots of bikes scrape pegs on fairly minor curves. Back when I took the BRC one of the instructors took his Vulcan 800 (which had been lowered) on a big lazy circle all around the lot trailing sparks the whole way. I know that I have leaned pretty hard on some tight curves and don't think I was ever even close. It seemed like it wasn't even possible, but you never know until you ask. It is an "edge of the envelope" kind of thing.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
A buddy & I took a nice long ride down Skyline Drive in Virginia (my sig pic), which is one heck of alot of twisties, and I never scraped once.
There were more than a few turns when I thought "This is gonna scrape!", but nope, just motored on thru the turns.

Any of ya around the Virginia area, and ya like twisties, I highly recommend Skyline Drive. HERE is a map of it. 105 miles of pure excitment. Well as much as you can have while obeying the 35 MPH speed limit :doh:
Just be sure to fill up before ya start. There are 3 places along the way that have fuel, but I was enjoying it so much, I didn't want to have to stop !! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've dragged the floorboards on the cop bike twice turning pretty sharp but never even thought about it on the Vulcan. Its funny though, I sit lower on the Vulcan but it has more ground clearance than the cop bike. I certainly wouldn't try to do it.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
If I scraped a peg..

I'd be down, and I don't like being down, the last time was back in 71'
when I jumped off my KAW on a wet hard-packed dirt surface in rain to
avoid a stuuuuped 4 wheeler who was parked in the middle of a wide
logging road curve near Stampede Pass, WA. Jumped off and landed in tall
grass cushoning my fall, only racked up my sholder which healed in
2 weeks, the bike missed the car by a quarter of an inch and sustained
little damage. :doh:

The VN750's footpegs are further forward and I often think of how I
would jump off this rocket, and well I guess I could only roll off.. :(

Retro Rocket Rider

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have not scraped my pegs but have friends who have. Deuce has scraped his floorboards on his 750 but hard to do. This bike can corner expecially if you put on the Metzlers 880 on, I put the 110 on the front and it is great, havent had a drift in a corner, I do lean way over on twistys to.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
This is a fun video to watch AND listen (too bad the rider is on a goldwing instead of a VN750)

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/4/wm/D3E1DEDD-48F8-4493-A2D4-EE14ADDCA774.htm

One of the rides I went on while attending the Vulcan riders Midwest Great River Run in Boscobel WI, was a twisty run (end up north of La Cross). The leader was on a Concourse and there were two other big Vulcans. The leader set the prefect pace for the VN750. Every turn was almost like a sweeper - even the 25 mph corners. I have the Knifemaker floorboards (which scrape a little sooner then stock pegs) and on two turns, I was able to gently scrape the boards the entire way through the turn. The bigger bikes could not keep up - one tried and hit his kickstand which made the rear jump (NOT good :wow: ) so they kept is slow in the turns. If you really lean over the VN750 the same thing will happen on either side because of the center stand

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd think that scraping would show that you are riding on the extreme edge of the "envelope." If you misjudge your turn and must turn harder, you can't. If your correcting your misjudged turn and scrape. . . well, you've already misjudged and are perhaps outside of your element. Does anyone one else agree? I'm a rather new rider and tend to be pretty cautious when it comes to turns in general though.

Those gold wing drivers were insane! Could you imagine coming down the road on your sport bike and seeing those guys fly past?

·
Now what
400 Posts
Joem said:
Have any of you ever leaned hard enough in a curve to drag your foot peg? I live for the lean. I push the bike as hard as I safely can into those curves and I don't think I have come close to dragging a peg. The 750 seems to sit a bit higher than some other cruisers. I hear people talking all the time about dragging their pegs in a curve. Maybe I am not pushing as hard as I think I am.

Joe
I've dragged the pegs a couple of times. I never tried to do it on purpose. It's only happened when I've been climbing a grade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts