Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced DPR7EA-9 with DPR7E1X-9 and gained quicker starts. Does anyone know the difference between the two types ?

tia:
D: motorcycl:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The DPR7EIX-9 are Iridium plugs. They do make quite a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
should I be worried that Amazon tells me that the plugs y'all keep talking about aren't supposed to fit in my '94 VN750? Even the NGK website keeps trying to tell me to get DP7EA-9's instead of any of the IX's.

Are there other mods that need to happen so that works?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
should I be worried that Amazon tells me that the plugs y'all keep talking about aren't supposed to fit in my '94 VN750? Even the NGK website keeps trying to tell me to get DP7EA-9's instead of any of the IX's.

Are there other mods that need to happen so that works?
The Iridiums are fine for your bike. I have used them for 2 years. No mods needed. From NGK http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/motorcycles/step4.asp?id=6155&type=ir
EDIT- link didn't work. If you go to NGK site, click on products, motorcycle, Kawasaki. Then click on engine size, Vulcan 750 will come up, click on check mark for Iridium plugs. It shows the DPR7E1X-9 for the Vulcan 750

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
No, these do fit. I have them in my bike. No mods at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is odd-- I copy/pasted the plugs from here, ordered a few online, and they are actually much thicker on the non-gapped end than the plugs that came with the bike (actually NGK's also!) and the wires don't seem to want to fit over them. I didn't think that is something I should force, unless it's ok to muscle them on...?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That is odd-- I copy/pasted the plugs from here, ordered a few online, and they are actually much thicker on the non-gapped end than the plugs that came with the bike (actually NGK's also!) and the wires don't seem to want to fit over them. I didn't think that is something I should force, unless it's ok to muscle them on...?
...have you removed the little cap ends prior to cable installation ?

...remove the caps from the SP cable end to expose the threaded portion (so it appears as your old NGK;s).

:smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
...have you removed the little cap ends prior to cable installation ?

...remove the caps from the SP cable end to expose the threaded portion (so it appears as your old NGK;s).

:smiley_th
Precisely so. You remove them by unscrewing them, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tihs explains so much... it's funny, the big conceptual stuff I have no problem understanding. The practical details of how stuff works... yeah, not so great at that. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Tihs explains so much... it's funny, the big conceptual stuff I have no problem understanding. The practical details of how stuff works... yeah, not so great at that. Thank you!
That just means you need PRACTICE. Keep on wrenching any time you can and you'll be giving advice here in no time.

I used to be great with theory and really bad with practice. I bought a basic set of tools and dove in. I'm not a mechanical guru, but I can at least say I'm better than most mechanics in my area (which only means that mechanics here SUCK).

When in doubt, just search online! There's a "How-to" for everything online. As far as the VN750 goes, this is a great place to both read up on info, mods, etc, or ask questions to the more experienced members. I've learned a LOT on here :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts