Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 85 VN700 that I just bought this spring. Prior owner used 8.8 mm spark plug wires and stripped off the insulation to get them to go into the caps and through the coil nuts. This left some non-insulated wire outside of the caps causing some shorting/sparking to the engine case. I wanted to eliminate this so I picked up some 8 mm wire and installed it on the rear cylinder to make sure I do it right before committing to both. When started (it actually does start again...:) It now sounds like there are two sparks with slightly different timing. My thought is that both plugs are supposed to spark at the same time right? Does anyone have any thoughts on why the plugs would be sparking at slightly different times. They are very close together but sound like they are distinctly different... (??)

Thanks in advance.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Kalleberg said:
I've got an 85 VN700 that I just bought this spring. Prior owner used 8.8 mm spark plug wires and stripped off the insulation to get them to go into the caps and through the coil nuts. This left some non-insulated wire outside of the caps causing some shorting/sparking to the engine case. I wanted to eliminate this so I picked up some 8 mm wire and installed it on the rear cylinder to make sure I do it right before committing to both. When started (it actually does start again...:) It now sounds like there are two sparks with slightly different timing. My thought is that both plugs are supposed to spark at the same time right? Does anyone have any thoughts on why the plugs would be sparking at slightly different times. They are very close together but sound like they are distinctly different... (??)

Thanks in advance.
did u make sure u didnt cross cylinders?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You betcha. I did each plug seperately. I'm gonna be tinkering with it this weekend and I'm very open to ideas.....

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I was under the impression that one set fired on the compression stroke and the other just prior to the exhaust valves opening on the exhaust stroke.

Supposed to burn off any remaining hydrocarbons for better emissions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hadn't heard that one before... Hmmmm.... I guess I'll spend some time tinkering this weekend and try a few different options & check the effects... more later I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts