Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the dang fuse box?!?!??!?!?!?
My headlight wont turn on.....tail light works, blinkers work, gauges work but no head light.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Where is the dang fuse box?!?!??!?!?!?
My headlight wont turn on.....tail light works, blinkers work, gauges work but no head light.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:
In a juction box behind the left side cover.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hope it is just a fuse. What you need to do is check out your charging system. Put a meter on the battery terminals and bring up the RPM's and see if you get close to 14 VDC. Its a possibility that your stator is bad, one leg from the stator controls the headlight relay. Thats how the headlight comes on only when the bike is started. I added a link to my post when my headlight stopped working. It was a Stator. When you create a post put a breif description of the problem/subject "dont shoot me" isnt really helpfull. Good luck with your headlight. Let us know what you find. If its your stator I just went through this same exact problem. Glad to help you out as is everyone on here.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17610&highlight=headlight&page=2

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
doubt its a charging issue... there would be even more symptoms, like dead battery, hard starts, ect... headlight failure is 99% of the time a bad fuse or a bad relay... after seeing the relay die so many times I had a limited run of custom JBs that used automotive relays. worked awesome... but due to having to have the old j/b and lack of time, I stopped building them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knife maker= I actually replaced the headlight bulb today so that why I was hoping it was a fuse.

Slim- Good news...so the jumper wire is the best fix for right now?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
yes.. if the jumper wire makes the HL come on, then you know that the JB needs to be replaced or repaired... although repairing the JB is not a task that the faint of heart should undergo. A strong understanding of electronics and soldering is a MUST...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i haven't soldered anything since high school lol....so the Jumper wire isnt a permanent fix ... what then?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
lots of people use the jumper wire as a perminant fix... the only draw back is that tht light turns on when the key is switched to on, instead of coming on after the bike starts up... if this is a problem for you, you need to find a jb... iirc an early vn1500 (1980's through 1995) will swap in.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I did the jumper wire as well, of course if you bypass the headlight relay and apply 12 volts to the headlight its going to work if the headlight is good. I wish it fell into that 99% when my headlight stopped working. My headlight was good and my fuse was good, that left the headlight relay inside the JB. So i was looking at replacing that when someone told me to check the stator. Just so happens the headlight relay is controlled by the stator, the quickest was to check is check to see if there is the proper voltage a the battery when the bike is running. My bike started up just fine that morning good thing it was dark I would of took off and been stranded when my battery died. Ive been troublshooting wire systems for over 30 years, sometimes its the relay, somtimes it part of the system that makes the relay opererate. I would check the stator just to be sure, its possible its just fine and the relay is bad. If your good at soldering i think you could just replace the relay. I opened up my JB, didnt look that hard. But if its not and you take off for a ride you could be left stranded. Here is a link the first post I made when my headlight stopped working. I also included a photo of the headlight circuit schematic, oops guess i cant add it with the edit function.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17569&highlight=headlight

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Knife maker= I actually replaced the headlight bulb today so that why I was hoping it was a fuse.
If you just replaced the headlight you MIGHT have pinched a wire in the headlamp bucket, and that could cause the problem. Check the grounding too, and make sure your battery terminal connections are tight and corrosion free.

·
Registered
458 Posts
gonna say it again, if the headlight is good, and the fuse is good, check your Stator. you might not want to hear that cause its gonna suck if its the problem.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
gonna say it again, if the headlight is good, and the fuse is good, check your Stator. you might not want to hear that cause its gonna suck if its the problem.
His headlight might not be good even though he just replaced it. But assuming it is good, since he just changed the bulb he might have pinched a wire in the bucket. Everything else seems to work, so it doesn't look like a stator issue to me. But who knows just from diagnosing over the internet.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Good deal !!! Glad to hear it was only the headlight relay. Alot less Pain in the you know what. Wonder where you could get one of those. They look pretty easy to replace. Not sure if its the part # for yours but the numbers on my headlight relay are MR 301-N9 NEC. I have a 2005. Unless your just going to replace the JB or just bypass the relay. Curious how he determined it was the relay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts