Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came to the conclusion that my stator was grounded so I'm taking a swing at the Tuxedo Mod. Figured more pics of the procedure couldn't hurt anyone.

See the original mod thread here.

Scribed my cut line on the stator cover.

Cut my plate from 16 gauge steel and marked the cutouts on it.

Notches cut and mocked up.

Here's one part that I haven't seen pictures posted for yet. Using the clay to transfer the hole positions from the stator case to the plate. I used Super Sculpey clay- it's an oil based polymer clay that shouldn't have the problems with shrinking like the playdoh version. I also washed any oil off my plate with soap and water so the clay would stick to the plate and not the oily stator case.

Have to wait til work tomorrow to use the drill press. In the mean time, I went ahead and ground the ribs inside the stator case cover.

The Super Sculpey is much firmer than playdoh and I used a fairly thin layer. Meaning I had to push pretty hard to make sure to get the hole impressions. I used a hammer to tap in the middle to make sure.

Guess that's all I can do for now. I'll try to drill the holes tomorrow and then it's the point of no return- cutting the case!

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drillin...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys I've heard that the stator plate shown in Tuxedoseven is available to buy somewhere? Do any of you know where I can get one from please? I have done the mod' using a brass plate as that was the only material available to me last season to get me back on the road, I am now seeing wear in the 3 center mounting bolt holes which is worrying! I could do with the steel version to stop it getting any worse and damaging anything.

Thanks Guys,

A troubled Limey in the UK!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Guys I've heard that the stator plate shown in Tuxedoseven is available to buy somewhere? Do any of you know where I can get one from please? I have done the mod' using a brass plate as that was the only material available to me last season to get me back on the road, I am now seeing wear in the 3 center mounting bolt holes which is worrying! I could do with the steel version to stop it getting any worse and damaging anything.

Thanks Guys,

PM gcextreme this forum.
Also has a website.

WilliamTech

·
Registered
8,250 Posts

Thanks Guys,

I just spotted this one on Ebay. Note that it's a different shape than the ones seen around here. Of course I can't say if the alignment is right on it or not, maybe some questions before bidding, like who made it, etc. The ad says it's new. The starting bid is fair enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-Mod-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4611f0ba66&vxp=mtr

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Im pretty sure thats one of my plates i made....the ziplock bag with all those bolts is a giveaway...

Its probably one of my first plates...i wasnt sure on the correct bolt lengths so i sent numerous lengths.
And i know ive sold at least 3 to guys in Canada...

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
It is a different shape though, right? I thought the current ones were more round than oblong like that one. Doesn't look like it was ever run in an engine, but it's definitely got some fresh looking grind marks.

Third look at it and finally noted the shipping price.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Too much material removed for my taste.
I think it would be more inclined to flex.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Hey tux...nice to see u back!!!

Im 99.9% positive i made that plate thats posted on ebay...and no its strong and wont flex...my new plates are alot better....since i got an actual sidecover to use to make and test them...

And im not sure why it looks like grind marks...i use a polishing pad to polish and buff them.

·
Banned
130 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts