Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1992 Vulcan 750
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ride wearing dog tags? If so, from where did you order them, and what information did you have etched?

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I don't ride with them but I got mine in 1969 at the Naval Training Center San Diego, CA, they are etched with my name, service number, blood type and religous preference. Forty years later and 23 years of active service to my country they are still mine!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I don't ride with dog tags. If I did they would have to be non-military in style, and they would state my owners name and phone number so if anyone finds me they can get a reward for returning me.

To all those who EARNED their dog tags through their service to our country, we who have benefited from your service owe much to you and to your families for your sacrifice.

·
1992 Vulcan 750
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't mean to open up a can of worms. I seem to remember reading in a motorcycling magazine (or book?) that wearing dog tags is helpful, especially if you should become both incapacitated and separated from your regular ID or wallet. That's why I was debating ordering the dog tags, not to be a faux military person.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Didn't mean to open up a can of worms. I seem to remember reading in a motorcycling magazine (or book?) that wearing dog tags is helpful, especially if you should become both incapacitated and separated from your regular ID or wallet. That's why I was debating ordering the dog tags, not to be a faux military person.
Having your blood type and any other pertinent medical info (diabetic, high blood pressure, etc.,) readily available for medical personnel might save some time in case of an emergency. Don't think it would be an affront to our men and women in uniform if it were worn under the shirt.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
i had an idea of putting my blood type and what not on my helmet
problem is, i dont know my blood type.
Why don't you go down to your local hospital and volunteer to be a blood donor. Along with helping the community, you will learn your blood type. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.:pepper:

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Instead of dog tags, try this from JC Whitney. http://www.jcwhitney.com/HELMET_PACKS?ID=12;0;1101013872;0;100003;ProductName;31;0;0;0;2010110;0

I'm going to order one myself.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
At a couple of the VROC Reunions we had a vendor that made up the non-military style dog tags. Several of the riders had them made up especially if they had health issues.
Something along this type..
http://www.medicalerttag.com/

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The local WalMart has a vending machine that makes tags and bracelets in colors and styles. Some health care offices will make the medical bracelets for a $.

I got my tags free from the U.S.M.C. Wasn't that a deal!

;-)

DT

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw a bike a the local bike night the other day with the owners blood type written in script on the rear fender. Not sure how useful it would be (especially if he let a buddy take the bike out for a spin), but it did add to the overall look and feel of his custom.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
From what I understand, EMS crews don't need to know blood types anymore..not sure of the reason, but a freind told me that even if you had BLOOD TYPE AB+ written in big letters on your helmet or jacket, they would not do anything different.

Perhaps someone can elaborate on this.

He did say that they do try and check the wrists of unconcious victims for med alert bracelets......

KM

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I've just got a note in my wallet, beside my license, listing who to call if I can't tell them.
Other than that they're on their own. I have no allergies or physical maladies to worry about. I believe the emergency pros will do for me what's needed and save me if possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Hey AGS - I think that's a great idea. Can't speak for everyone else, but as a former active duty Marine, I won't be offended. Just make sure to get pertinent info like name, DOB, blood type, allergies, etc on it for medical personnel. As long as you don' have USN, USAF, USA, USCG, or USMC stamped or engraved on it, can't see how that would be considered "faux military".

Go for it!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
You could try looking at "Hot Topic" or a store like that. Use an electirc pencil to write on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts