Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
85 VN700 11.8k miles

Been having some engine dying (instantly) issues out on the road once the bike warms up. It was not phantom out of gas syndrome some kind of electrical issue. The last time I had it running without any motor noise I was giving it hard throttle while in neutral and the motor just dies instantly, smoke pores out the front case vent port for a few seconds. I just walked away from it at that point.

The next day I start up the bike to a noise in the front upper region of the motor. I thought it may be the ACCT so I did the grambo trick then started the bike, noise still there. So as the bike ran I turned the ACCT screw CCW to apply more pressure to the cam chain, noise did not change. So I conclude it is not the cam chain. I unbolt the valve cover and suspended it above the head about an inch(to try to control the oil splatter) then started the bike. It sounds like the noise is coming from the valves/cams/rockers on the right side. Watch Video.

http://customkrotchrockets.com/VIDEO0049.3gp

I think it may be a bad Hydraulic Lash Adjuster, not sure as I have never had any experience with these auto adjusters.

Anyone have any ideas?

These things are $50 each new or I can buy the bleeder tappet tool to test them for $32.

Has anyone ever used this tool and checked their HLA's? Is it obvious they are bad testing them with the tool?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter that is in the oil passage that feeds the HLA's was dirty. Could not get it out so I used carb cleaner and high pressure air to clean it.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I apologize for not getting to you sooner. It don't sound like mine, but it does sound like the HLA is not pumping up properly.
I don't know of anyone who has used one.
Another way to check it is to pull the engine and visually check the HLA's and push on it with a screwdriver to see if there is any slack in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts