Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
No it don't go into the wet area of the diff. You need to pull the rear diff to get to the splines to lube them.
It's pretty easy to get it off, just time consuming as you have to pull the rear wheel too.
I use a 2X4 under the center stand, remove the shocks, and the wheel will drop down far enough to slide it out the back. You might have to remove your license plate to make a little more room.
There are 4 bolts that hold the diff to the swing arm, and there is a spring in there so the diff will want to slide off when you take the bolts out.
Check the splines and make sure they are in good shape, get a good hi heat moly lube, and grease it good.
Be careful putting it all back together. Tighten the 4 bolts down a little at a time till they are snug, then torque them to spec. After you get the rear wheel on make sure and torque it too, and use a new cotter pin.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
There is a vent hole in the back of the final drive gear case, so if you lay it down on the back side, oil will drain out through that hole. Do not spray water on it without first plugging that hole. I almost forgot that the first time I had mine off, and decided to spray it with degreaser and hose it off.

After you get everything back together, you need to change the fluid anyway.

The hardest part of removing the rear wheel is removing the right muffler, so you can pull the axle out. Easy to do, but usually ruins the very expensive graphite gasket. I always keep a extra one on hand, just in case.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
There is a vent hole in the back of the final drive gear case, so if you lay it down on the back side, oil will drain out through that hole. Do not spray water on it without first plugging that hole. I almost forgot that the first time I had mine off, and decided to spray it with degreaser and hose it off.

After you get everything back together, you need to change the fluid anyway.

The hardest part of removing the rear wheel is removing the right muffler, so you can pull the axle out. Easy to do, but usually ruins the very expensive graphite gasket. I always keep a extra one on hand, just in case.

If you undo the shocks you will not have to remove the muffler. You can raise the wheel above the muffler or if you have room you can lower it below the muffler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts