Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking at getting a set of chatterboxes for the wife and i. just wanted to know if any one uses these? if so, what could you tell me about them? do they work well? are they worth the $?
thanks,
ruger.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I get on the bike to not hear her LOL.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've got the Chatterbox FRS X2, as does a buddy I usually ride with (he has the add on passenger set-up for his g/f also).
If it's just you and the wife, on one bike, I'd suggest something cheaper. There are other wired intercoms that'll work just as good and wont be nearly as much.
If the two of ya are on seperate bikes, they're not bad. But watch out with the helmet mount. Both mine & my buds developed a crack. There are replacement parts available for about $5, but I ended up mounting mine to the handlebars, and then made an aluminum piece for my buds cause he'd rather have it mounted on the helmet (easier that way when used as just an intercom).
The headsets work pretty good, but wind noise can be an issue if using the voice activated method at speeds above 50. With openface helmets, it'd probably be a bit less.
The range isn't too bad. On straight roads you can get close to the two mile range, but when hills/buildings/alot of turns get inbetween, range can easily be cut to less than a mile.
Battery time has easily lasted a good days ride, but I also got the power/charge cord just incase.

I don't remember where I got mine, but I searched online for the best price I could find and got both sets for alot cheaper than what something like Dennis Kirk has them for.

HERE'S my handlebar set-up.
The aluminum piece that the Chatterbox is attached to is the piece that seems to crack kinda easily.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
i plan on getting http://cardowireless.com/scala_rider_teamset/ .
the motorcycle dealer who spports our local riding community has those for great price so almost all people who i ride with around here have one (most obviously have he older version) so if i feel i need to talk to someone i'll just dial his number. actually the idea is to use the Passanger module myself and give the Master module to wife -> let her do the secretary work dialin and accepting calls.
IMO this is better then FRS device

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ccspinner-good one, LOL.

we will both be on our own bikes. i was looking at getting the 5, mile range models. also, i think i would mount them on the handle bars.

thanks for the info.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I really like mine on the bars.
It did take a little while to get used to disconnecting the cord before getting off of the bike :doh:

I'm plenty happy with the 2 mile range, but the 5 mile one would be nice at times.
I made my mount using a bar clamp from a set of barkbusters I had on my dirtbike and a swivel mount from a small stand to put a portable CD player on in a car.

I had thought of getting one of those cell phone units, but if you're in an area with no signal, you've got no communication at all. Not even to someone right next to ya.

A cell phone can be hooked up to the Chatterbox but IIRC, it's only for certain models. Also, any MP3/CD player can easily be hooked up and, when communicating, the music will be muted until TX/RX is finished.

Another plus is the battery. It's NMHd (or how ever it is?) and should last a good while. But they can be wired to the bikes electrics too.

EDIT:
I just found the invoice for my purchase, which was two radios (FRS), optional power cord, two extention cords and one passenger intercom kit. The total for that was $469.
I got them from MotoEmporium

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as for the cell phone unit...i think i'll stay away from that. i live near the lake (Lake Erie) and most of the time i can't get a signal. also the wife and i like to go down to "hocking hills" ohio and most places down there cell phone don't work at all!

also, will the chatterbox work with other communicators? would it work with the cell phone type communicators? so, if my wife and i get chatterboxes and my friend who like to ride with us has a different type of communicator, would we all be able to talk to each other?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
They should work with most all FRS and/or GMRS radios.
You might need to try a couple of different channels to be sure to get one that works well between different brands, but it shouldn't be a problem.

HERE is a list of what the actual frequencies are.
Where you can get into problems is when using the sub channels each freq. has.

I don't think they'd work with the cell phone types, unless you have your cell phone hooked up to them. With the cell adaptor, they work with phones that have a standard 2.5mm 3-conductor headset jack. Some phones may require a headset adapter. THIS is the list of available adaptors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts