Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here. I searched around for a few days and found nothing on this, so please let me know if someone has asked this question before and I will go there. I am currently working on a 1991 VN750 US model and I am almost ready to get it on the road. All that's left (that I know of lol) is to fix the fuel flow restriction caused by the way my fuel lines are routed for a non-OEM petcock.

I bought a cheap eBay fuel petcock. It has only one fuel nipple as opposed to the two found on the OEM petcock (part number 51023-1392).

My question is- is there a way to route the fuel lines for these single nipple petcocks that doesn't restrict fuel flow? I am going to use 3/8" fuel line since the 1/4" i have on now is too small, and the metric size fuel line is too expensive here. Is there maybe a different petcock that works for this bike that has 2 nipples? I looked at the yamaha tw200 petcock but it is going to cause the same issue with fuel line routing. Or am I stuck footing the $90 for the OEM petcock? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
About the only thing you can do is make sure the fuel hoses do not run uphill, at any point.

This is true even with the original petcock.

Having the tee in the hoses should work, as it's been done before. Just make sure the hoses run level or downhill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick answer, I appreciate your help. One more question- the petcock has one 1/4" output, will that be enough fuel for this bike once the lines are all downhill? I have rejetted it to the 42/142 size, will this make a difference as well? Thank you again!

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I'm not sure about 1/4" outlet feeding two carbs, might work, but I'll be surprised. People have used the TW200 petcock with a tee without problems.

42/142 is usually way too rich, but some have run with that.

What's wrong with the original? Rebuild kits are $22.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Hehe hehe he said petcock...

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,687 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Doc, yer slippin', you missed the nipple. Is that a nipple slip? >:)
Sorry but the petcock had me distracted...

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately it didn't come with the bike. It seems I picked up someone else's project... I ordered a TW200 petcock, it seems like it will be easier to work with compared to the downward outflow of the one I have currently.

As for the jets I will most likely swap them back at some point. I did an earshave and those sizes were recommended by the original guide that's floating around here. Going to play with it and see. Thanks spockster, you have no idea how much your replies over the years have helped me in the last few months lol

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
You're welcome, glad to help.

The outlets on the petcock should rotate if they're just pressed in and not cast into the body.

I still have stock jets in mine, I don't feel it's automatically necessary to re-jet just for air filters. Now, if you uncork the pipes, that's where jetting comes into play. It's best to read the plugs and let that be the deciding factor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts