Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have hardbags on their Vulcan? I mean, other than ammo cans... LOL
I was cruising the web last night and came upon www.classiccruiser.com and they've got some neat looking hardbags that'll fit.
However before I shell out over $600 I'd prefer to see some pics of someone with them on OUR bike, and not the generic picture they display.
I like the looks of hardbags over soft, generally speaking. If someone has a suggestion as to other places to go, in addition to the above website, I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Why yes, I do...LOL.
Did you see this thread?
http://tinyurl.com/22rk64

Also do search using "Givi" as a few folks have these. Some have used a generic hard bag and fabricated their own mounts. As of right now, no one makes mounts/hardbags specificly for the Vulcan 750, so you will have to adapt ones from another bike, or find the elusive Tour Pack bags that Kaw used to make.
Oddly, from what I understand, I own the ONLY set in the United States of Givi side case mounts for the VN750. They were only available in South Africa it seems. I might be talked out of them for some impressive amount of money....but if you find the post about adapting the Givi "wing rack" you'd be better off I think.
I almost made my own using a set of Pelican cases, I think this option is still available from the guy at TOG.

KM

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Hey! What's wrong with ammo cans ;-)

Ya mean ya want hardbags and don't wanna look like a dumb redneck? ;-)

Here's a link to what KM's talking about

http://tocmanufacturing.com/VN7XX_Racks.htm

Seems like dirtrack has some hardbags on his bike and they look pretty nice...

Some more links (found with search "hard saddlebags")

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5091&highlight=hard+saddlebags

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4663&highlight=hard+saddlebags

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988

From thread 988:

I finally got my Givi saddlebags and now have them mounted. I think they look great and I finally have lockable, removable, waterproof, hard cases on the bike.

GIVI USA will tell you that they do not sell any mounts that will work on the VN750. That is not exactly true. You do need to have the Kawasaki saddlebag supports first and then the rest is easy. You need to purchase the GIVI Model N150 Wingrack II (complete with turn indicators), a couple of 3 1/2 inch long x 5/16 inch bolts (with washers and nuts), a couple of 1 1/2 inch long x 5/15 inch bolts (with washers and nuts), and a couple of short plates that can be bent around the saddlebag support rods and bolted. With all of that, the Wingrack II bolts directly onto the Kawasaki saddlebag support at the top and you clamp it to the support rod at the bottom. It makes a very solid mount. The stock Kawasaki turn indicators will be in the way, so those are discarded. Connecting the GIVI indicators that come with the Wingrack II requires that you replace the Italian bullet male electrical connector with a smaller one to fit the stock Kawasaki female connector. Once you have all the right parts, putting this together is really pretty simple.

All the GIVI monokey saddlebags will fit on the Wingracks. I chose the E-21 bags as they are the best size for the VN750 and are not as outrageously expensive as some of the others GIVI makes.

The photos below show the installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Anything ya do'll require a bit of fabrication - don't ask what'll fit, ask what ya can MAKE fit!

Though I am partial to my ammo cans ;-)

No worries - I'm not offended, just flipping ya christmas cheer ;-)

Off to my parents house so the kid can open her pile of presents from grandma and grandpa ;-)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was an AMMO troop in the USAF for 21 years. I've seen every use of ammo cans there can be, including sidebags......
I'm partial to using them for everything from ice chests to tables. I've no problems with them being hard bags, too. Just not mine...
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hard Bags?

Here's a pict of my $50 hard bags off ebay. Not for the VN's but they fit and they work; but not as stylish as new made to order custom bags. Not as big as I'd like.

My other scoot, GL500 has Igloo coolers as bags and they are great.

LLAP: coming to you from Castle Rock Wa. Home of the AMA TT Flat Track Nationals. Ride down and visit a race this spring. Did you retire from McCord AFB? What you doing now?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I retired at McChord in 95. I'm now with a composite materials manufacturing plant about 3 miles from the house. I'm the night shift Advanced Technician/Trainer in the Resin Mixing section.
This next spring/summer I plan on making all sorts of longer distance, in-state trips. Castle Rock can be put on the agenda......... I'll let you know.

·
XV500K->VN750->VN1500G
54 Posts
Just wanna say I really like the looks of your scoot - you do that paint job? That red is great, but I'd never get away with it because my wife likes the teal too much...

Love the look of hard bags w/o fairings!

Lzzrrd

·
Premium Member
508 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
These are from the mutazu.com website...I just wish they were a lil bit bigger....so i can put my laptop in it to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Mutazu bags are made of ABS plastic whereas the Tsukayu "Strong" type bags are made of fiberglass. Both look good. The Tsukayu are much more expensive than the Mutazu's at over $600 vs around $200.
The Mutazu bags look really good. I am wondering about the ABS plastic though. Is it strong enough? Is it easily damaged? What's your evaluation on that please?
Letitflight do you also have a closeup of how the support brackets are attached? There were pics of a VN750 with the bags attached in their website but I wasn't too content with the way the attaching brackets looked in their closeups.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VERY good set of pics! Thanks.
Do you think the strength of the materials, ABS plastic, is strong enough?
I see you've attached the brackets to the fender in a way that I was thinking more of doing than the example given in the Mutazu website.
They look good!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks!
Well i think they are strong enough...of course not as strong as fiber glass...but again strong is relative here since we are just storing things in them.
BTW i had to seal the inside of the bags with some silicon so things inside won't get wet.
Let me know if i can help for something else......

RIDE SAFE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts