Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never brought my helmets inside for winter, but started to think maybe the cold wasn't good for the material. What do you say?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I leave mine out in the garage. Dont see why it would hurt as long as I don't knock it around when its cold.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
i dont even know where mine is. havent needed it since i came back from the NY ride

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
You got it backasswards....in winter you keep your helmet inside so it stays warm, in summer you pop it in the fridge a hour before a ride.

I would not keep my helmet anywhere that spiders could nest in it. Garage be totally out of the question. Mine are inside, in helmet bags, on a shelf.

But no, cold shouldn't hurt the helmet. But keeping your helmet in a garage where gas fumes and exhaust fumes live is not good for the lining material.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
You got it backasswards....in winter you keep your helmet inside so it stays warm, in summer you pop it in the fridge a hour before a ride.

I would not keep my helmet anywhere that spiders could nest in it. Garage be totally out of the question. Mine are inside, in helmet bags, on a shelf.

But no, cold shouldn't hurt the helmet. But keeping your helmet in a garage where gas fumes and exhaust fumes live is not good for the lining material.
I keep mine in the house all year long.

KN, maybe on to something there, I think since I have a fridge in the garage, I'll just store the helmet in the fridge for the summer! last time I checked there were no spiders in my fridge! although with having the helmet in there, that would mean less room for beer! :doh: lol

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I'd store the helmet indoors, out of the elements. Better safe than sorry when it comes to the braincage.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The last year I had my last Harley, I had stuff on my mind (newborn daughter), and left my Bell with the bike all winter....was one day in early March where there was a really nice day, so I went out, started her up, and threw the helmet on...was full of seeds, mouse bedding and mouse crap....that reminds me, I got to go out and get all the leather and helmets inside since I wont be riding for awhile.....squirrels and raccoons love chewing on leather....

To the original querry....cold wont damage a helmet....especially the newer ones using modern materials....some of the vintage ones, with the older materials may....foam liners will become brittle, and therefore useless.....happened to my Super Magnum....

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mine comes into the house with me every day after each ride. I've heard too many stories about someones helmet becoming the nest of various critters to want to leave it alone for too long.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
My helmet even goes into the stores and gas stations with me. I never leave my helmet unattended. Then once back to the house, into my helmet bag it goes then to my sheriff in the closer designated to the rest of my riding gear that can't be hung up

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Mine hangs on a chair in the breakfast room through the ear hole; annoying the hell out of my girlfriend until the next ride.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I think I used that semi-colon correctly; someone might want to check to be sure.
If my English Teacher wife were still awake I would ask her, but I'm pretty sure it should be a comma and you have a misplaced modifier in the first phrase. "Mine hangs through the ear hole on a chair in breakfast room, annoying the hell out of my girlfriend until the next ride." Doesn't that sound better? That way no one thinks you have a breakfast room in your ear hole!

Or, just for fun, you could always use Yoda-style sentence structure: "On a chair in the breakfast room, through the ear hole it hangs. Until the next ride, annoyed by it my girlfriend is. mmm hmmm?"

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
If my English Teacher wife were still awake I would ask her, but I'm pretty sure it should be a comma and you have a misplaced modifier in the first phrase. "Mine hangs through the ear hole on a chair in breakfast room, annoying the hell out of my girlfriend until the next ride." Doesn't that sound better? That way no one thinks you have a breakfast room in your ear hole!

Or, just for fun, you could always use Yoda-style sentence structure: "On a chair in the breakfast room, through the ear hole it hangs. Until the next ride, annoyed by it my girlfriend is. mmm hmmm?"
Nxt tie I seez his green cracka azz, comma, I'm a gunna bus a cap in it.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Nxt tie I seez his green cracka azz, comma, I'm a gunna bus a cap in it.
Well you just proved you're not black....

Plus a green alien would NOT be a cracker...

And you're no nerd, as they'd tell you trying to shoot Yoda wouldn't work....

And everyone knows a semi-colon is just a partially aroused colon.....

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts