Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Q2. Which motorcycle parts must receive an anti-tampering exemption from ARB?

A2. VC 27156 only applies to emission-related add-on and modified parts. These are parts that are not functionally identical to an original part on the motorcycle. Some examples are fuel injection systems, re-jetting of carburetors, aftermarket catalytic converters, performance camshafts, and gear sprockets. "

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/motorcycle1/motorcycle1.htm

-Robert

No. Only CA has the screwy laws. Not really sure if rejetting is actually illegal there, as long as the bike passes emissions testing.

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
What bothers me more is the inclusion of "gear sprockets" .... Seriously? You can't change your gearing?

My first question here is if you rejet the bike and it still passes emission testing, how do they know the jets have been changed?

All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in California. Sounds like some fked up shiet.....

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Bikes in Kommi-fornia do not require a Smog Check so there is no way for them to tell if you re-jetted the carbs. I recently had to have my scoot retitled through DMV due to a salvage retention so I had to go to CHP where they checked my VIN and the EPA stamp on the mufflers. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For years there has been talk about requiring a SMOG check for motorcycles in California. However, the proposals have been limited to inspecting that the cat is still intact. The motorcycle organizations point out that its already illegal to remove or replace the cat on a motorcycle so the test serves no purpose. The solution has been to encourage law enforcement to check the cat of motorcycles they stop and issue an addition violation if they find the cat is not original spec. In the past 20 years car emissions have dropped 10 fold so its only a mater of time before the state starts to focus more closely on motorcycles and boats.
They already regulate small motor appliances (Nevada lawn mowers are illegal to sell in California) and large equipment is regulated (many tree timers have stopped chipping on site because of the issues with emissions limits on their big chippers).

-Robert

Bikes in Kommi-fornia do not require a Smog Check so there is no way for them to tell if you re-jetted the carbs. I recently had to have my scoot retitled through DMV due to a salvage retention so I had to go to CHP where they checked my VIN and the EPA stamp on the mufflers. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
To my knowledge, Maricopa county AZ is the ONLY place that currently emissions tests motorcycles, and that is soon to be a thing of the past. As for me, I don't give a rats ass what's legal and whats not as far as emissions crap goes, nor do I see why anyone else would either. As far as I am concerned, the EPA can stick it where the sun don't shine. I have a 1964 Ford Fairlane, which is exempt from emissions testing due to it's age (there were no emissions standards back then) and a 1972 Ford Pinto which is exempt because I have it registered to a legal address I have in another county. When motorcycle testing comes to an end, I'll be free and clear. No more of that crap for me.

Here's the official EPA site on it ( http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html ) I check it every couple of days. I seriously doubt my '85 Goldwing will pass emissions (it's fuel injected and not adjustable) and it's registration expires in 3 months. If this BS is still around at that time, I'll register it to the same address as the Pinto is registered to.

I suggest you jet your bike any way you want, and if you want an aftermarket exhaust, go for it. It is after all YOUR bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts