Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got the vn700 1985/A1. UK import.:rockon: the pipes dont look origional, ive replaced the filters
with small k and n's. removed all the origional filters. i think this is called the earshave:). Havnt de-goated. YET

This is the first time ive been out on the bike and the problem is. it seems to hunt, like its
needing more fuel when cruising around the 60mph 70kmh mark. But When i crank the throttle open
great stuff, flys along... Seems to be around the 1/4 throttle...
I cant see the mixture screws on the carbs. I dont think its got them.
Ive taken carbs of to clean. Just the same.
Do i need to rejet?
Do i need to have a larger jet for the rear cylinder ie: 140 / 142? front
DO i need the small jets replaced to.
Ive looked on this forums and seems that some say you dont need to re-jet.
Little bit puzzled whether i should or not.

I cant get seafoam in the UK...
Any help be appreciated

My clutch is slippin badly to but thats another day:rolleyes:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
ive got the vn700 1985/A1. UK import.:rockon: the pipes dont look origional, ive replaced the filters
with small k and n's. removed all the origional filters. i think this is called the earshave:). Havnt de-goated. YET

This is the first time ive been out on the bike and the problem is. it seems to hunt, like its
needing more fuel when cruising around the 60mph 70kmh mark. But When i crank the throttle open
great stuff, flys along... Seems to be around the 1/4 throttle...
I cant see the mixture screws on the carbs. I dont think its got them.
Ive taken carbs of to clean. Just the same.
Do i need to rejet?
Do i need to have a larger jet for the rear cylinder ie: 140 / 142? front
DO i need the small jets replaced to.
Ive looked on this forums and seems that some say you dont need to re-jet.
Little bit puzzled whether i should or not.

I cant get seafoam in the UK...
Any help be appreciated

My clutch is slippin badly to but thats another day:rolleyes:
Where do you live? Elevation?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auld Blighty Thats UK. I might drill the jets, anyone no size drill bit i need
to take them to 40. Thats if i need to re-jet, that is...

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
You should be ok with #40 pilot jets #140 main jets 2 shims under the needles and 2 3/4 turns on the air/fuel screws. The screws are beside the vacuum port. You may have to remove the plug.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
GOOD GAWD DONT DO THAT!!!

Yes you'll need to rejet, once you change the air flow you need to also chage the fuel flow. The standard jet sizes that seem to work for most is"

40 idle jets x2
140 main jets x2
#2 radio shack washers x4 (two under each needle)

Do those simple things and you'll love the new ride. But for gawds sake don't drill the jets, jets are supper cheap and even the slightest error in drilling will give you problems galor.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice1:rockon: i will try this next. ive done mods on other bikes like this but never really needed to shim n rejet.
the plugs look nice and tanned. thats why ive been reluctant to disturb the carbs...

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
nice1:rockon: i will try this next. ive done mods on other bikes like this but never really needed to shim n rejet.
the plugs look nice and tanned. thats why ive been reluctant to disturb the carbs...
You'll get a good burn on the plugs even tho youre running lean, now ask yourself this question, do I want to run lean and save a few pennies in gass or run optimum and HAUL ASS?....LOL

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had the carbs of and looked everywere for screws to turn but couldnt see any, lol...
Does the VN700 carbs have these. Sounds like a daft question, but you gotta ask, you guys no more than i do

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
p.s... Radio shak shims. what size are these, as there isnt a radio shak in UK.
I will go to the deaaler at the weekend, if i ask for 4 carb shims will he understand the sizes i need... The more info i download the better...
Ta for help

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
i had the carbs of and looked everywere for screws to turn but couldnt see any, lol...
Does the VN700 carbs have these. Sounds like a daft question, but you gotta ask, you guys no more than i do

Heres a couple pics to help you find them, as Lance stated in an earlier post that they may be plugged off from factory and if they are then you'll need to take a small screw driver and pry them out.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
p.s... Radio shak shims. what size are these, as there isnt a radio shak in UK.
I will go to the deaaler at the weekend, if i ask for 4 carb shims will he understand the sizes i need... The more info i download the better...
Ta for help
They are size #2 (sorry that you dont have a radio shack in the UK....that sucks) but if you tell a tech what youre trying to do then they should know what size that you'll need. Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that,:rockon: i will see about getting some jets this week, and shims. And hopfully this will be the last prob to sort out on my VN. This and the new clutch :(
:beerchug:

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are size #2 (sorry that you dont have a radio shack in the UK....that sucks) but if you tell a tech what youre trying to do then they should know what size that you'll need. Good luck

Gotta get me some shim..but what is size #2 in mm?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts