Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to the site and I've only owned my bike for a few weeks now, so forgive me if I am beating a very dead horse here...

My '93 is VERY hard to start. I was getting backfires, etc. in the process of starting so I figured originally that I might be having trouble with my carbs. Well, I tore them apart, cleaned everything up (it actually looked pretty good), and replaced my float valves (whether they needed them or not). Unfortunately, I am still have trouble starting. The carb rebuild seems to have improved my idle and minimized the backfiring, but the darn thing still cranks and cranks.

I am now suspecting the R/R & strator as being my primary culprits. I have heard that problems with these will cause the bike to not start when hot...mine won't. Even if it fires right up when cold...it will never start when it's been running.

Does this sound familiar? I have read some of the posts here that allude to the conditions I am experiencing, but I want to cover all of my bases BEFORE I have to tear this bike apart again and spend $200-$300 on new parts.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
First Question - Do you have a maintenance free battery? My bike started much better after getting a MF battery. I held off getting one for several months and wished I had gotten it right after I bought the bike like everyone here suggests.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem with hot starts until I got the MF battery. It was so bad I would dread stopping for gas on a hot day 'cause I knew it was gonna be a PITA getting it restarted. The MF battery (Westco) put an end to all that.

I think the OEM battery is just too weak - it's a very cheap battery. Its terminal voltage drops too low when the bike is hot and you hit the start button, so you get a very weak spark. If the bike starts fine when it's cold and the battery is not going dead your charging system is fine. You can check to be sure with a voltmeter. Take the seat off and start the bike. Put the meter across the battery teminals and rev the engine up to about 3k. You should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts on your meter, usually dropping to 12.5 or so at idle. The readings will be a little higher when the bike is cold.

After some trial and error I also found that my 750 would start much better hot if I opened the throttle a bit when cranking. Not to "goose" it...just crack the throttle and hold it just before you hit the start button. Mine would always fire right up (with the MF battery).

MokiMan
VROC #9014
GAVROC #65
TNVROC #41(H)
Rolling Blunder #144

'04 VN1600 Big Red http://tinyurl.com/34onh
Rome, GA Southern Cruisers: http://home.earthlink.net/~romancruiser/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO...I have a problem with hard starts when it is cold, too, but it DOES eventually start.

When it's hot...forget it...Also, it's like 100 degrees here every day so that doesn't take long.

Right now, I have a brand new battery in there that is obviously not doing the trick. I will try to track down a MF battery before doing anything else.

Thanks for the help...I'll keep you posted!

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Can you describe the procedure you use when you start it cold? We might be able to suggest a change that might help.

Also, do you have a battery charger? If so, you might want to top of the battery charge first, and then see if that helps or not.

RB

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check all of your ground wires for good contact and connection. I just buffed all the paint away from all my ground points before leaving to KY Lake. No electrical probs in the entire 1512 miles.

Good Luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red Baron said:
Can you describe the procedure you use when you start it cold? We might be able to suggest a change that might help.

Also, do you have a battery charger? If so, you might want to top of the battery charge first, and then see if that helps or not.

RB
Sure thing! For cold starts, I tyically do the following: turn on the fuel, stand up the bike, set the choke about 3/4 on (it seems to work best at that position), switch the engine on, and fire away. As soon as it catches, I will usually blip the throttle to help it along. After that, it runs relatively smoothly.

I feel like I have tried just about everything as far as procedures go. This will usually get the bike to fire within 2 to 5 turns of the starter. At times, I will have to crank it about 10 to get it to fire. I've only had it NOT start at all when it is already warm.

Yes, I have a battery charger. I have used it several times with this bike! With all the starting trouble I've had, I've worn it down a time or two. It does start better with a fresh charge, but it definitely does not solve the problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoot said:
Check all of your ground wires for good contact and connection. I just buffed all the paint away from all my ground points before leaving to KY Lake. No electrical probs in the entire 1512 miles.

Good Luck
Can you give me some insight as to the grounding points you buffed? I can only seem to recall a ground wire that is connected to my left air cleaner bracket. Hmmm...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bishop said:
Can you give me some insight as to the grounding points you buffed? I can only seem to recall a ground wire that is connected to my left air cleaner bracket. Hmmm...

I can give you three, there may be more. There is a ground coming off the negative post/cable on the battery. This attaches to the frame. On the right side under the side cover are two more. They attach to the frame.

Check out Gypsy's site, she has info on the grounding issues.

http://ourworld.cs.com/Moonmist115/vulcanwebsite.html

This is just a start.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On another note:

I went out for my nightly ride around last night when I got home from work. Here is how the bike started. It wasn't a good night.

Starter hits:
1-2: nothing
3: small backfire
4: smaller "pop"
6-9: nothing
10: big backfire
11-12: nothing
waited about 30 seconds...
13: fired up and ran smoothly.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
When I start my VN750, I ALWAYS have to give it a little twist on the throttle after I hit the starter and it starts right up. If the bike is cold, I use the choke (enricher), if the bike is warmed up then no choke is used.

With my Honda CX500, I never have to touch the throttle (just choke when cold). It almost always starts with the slightest tap of the starter button.

On my V65 Magna, I usually have to crank it a bit before it will start.

Every bike has its own quirks. If you have a fully charged MF battery, the stator and regulator should not be an issue at startup.

I know of an almost new VN750 where the owner was complaining about how hard it was to start when cold. The bike was taken into the dealer for a carb cleaning. It still was difficult to start. Everyone on the yahoo board told the person to get a MF battery. They broke down and purchased the MF battery and now the bike starts almost instantly hot or cold.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bishop said:
On another note:

I went out for my nightly ride around last night when I got home from work. Here is how the bike started. It wasn't a good night.

Starter hits:
1-2: nothing
3: small backfire
4: smaller "pop"
6-9: nothing
10: big backfire
11-12: nothing
waited about 30 seconds...
13: fired up and ran smoothly.

Ideas?
Yep...
Bishop, if when you say you get 'nothing' you mean...nothing: no crank, no sound no nothing...
You might just have some gunk preventing a good contact in the starter switch. I had this for abt 6mo, then finally figured out the problem..
After jiggleing the keys numerous times, I shot some contact cleaner/lubricant in the starter switch...with the red thingy!!.
Some folks use WD40, I bought some contact cleaner at RadioShack. I use it abt once a month or so, and I have had no 'dead' starter buttons since.
Also..I must pull the enrichener switch ('choke') out ALL the way when cold, or no dice. Check to see that there is not excessive play in this cable. The enrichener lever at the other end should move when the switch is pulled no more than 2mm....
The OM says to crack the throttle slightly when hot, and this has always worked very well for me....
Hope this helps....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jm1515 said:
Yep...
Bishop, if when you say you get 'nothing' you mean...nothing: no crank, no sound no nothing...
WHen I say "nothing," I mean that the starter cranks, but the bike doesn't fire up...

I don't think it's the choke simply because I feel like I have tried and exhausted that avenue for a fix. I could be wrong, but I think it has to be something else. Once I do the grounding and get my MF battery, I'll be able to narrow it down a bit more. I also still need to check the output of my charging system...I've been lazy lately, I guess.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Ok, this I know from personal experience. If the battery has a full charge, and if the stator is dead, and assuming there are no other problems, the bike will start and run fine. The battery will drain slowly and eventually the bike will stop running, probably after several hours.

So before I forget, if you are ever on the road, and your stator dies, and then your battery eventually dies, like bulldogs did, If you are within a couple of hours of home, one trick you can use is to buy a cheap car battery, strap it to your luggage rack, and wire it up to the system and run home that way. Much cheaper than a tow for several hundred miles. Or perhaps you can find someone with a charger and charge your battery then drive home.

Now a low battery will cause all kinds of starting and running problems. Having a dead stator, as well as some other problems, such as a bad ground, etc will keep the battery from charging.

Also bad plugs, water in the gas, ignitor gone bad, plug wires shorting out to the frame, etc, can also cause the problems.

I'd first start with the battery, if it is fully charged, move on and start looking for problems in the other areas.

RB

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well...I hate to cross-post, but I figure I should put this one to rest. I have purchased a new Yuasa MF battery and it didn't help me. It has been defeated like the rest...I guess I need to go recharge it now...

There is something else going on here. I just don't know what it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i had that issue when i got my 96 750 bout 5 months ago, took it to randys cycle shop here and he found the igniter box to be bad havent had that issue since. might wanna check it

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
You do realize this is a 7 year old thread you've posted in, right? Not to mention the guy who started the thread hasn't even been on the site in almost 4 years...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts