Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving at night around here usually isn't a big deal. Most of the roads are pretty well lit. But on some of the back roads...not so much. And we have deer...even though they are small compared to what the rest of the country has. :)

So driving with my normal low beams on I can see the road very well. When I hit the high beams, I can see the sides of the road better and I guess I can see farther away, but the road itself is quite dark. It's almost like I would expect the high beam to light up the roadside and the distance but still light up the road like the low beam does. Does that make sense? Basically, it's harder to see with the high beams on than with the low beams.

The headlight indicator doesn't light up to indicate any kind of problem. But could this mean that the bulb is bad anyway? Thinking of replacing it with a Silverstar Ultra to see how it does.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my question there is, if it is perfect for the low beam, if I try to adjust the high beam wouldn't that make the low beam out of adjustment then? I wish I could get a picture of what it looks like for y'all. With the highs on it it literally looks like everything is lit up except the road and straight ahead of me.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I had somewhat of a similar situation. I fully agree with all the advice given so far in this thread. First adjust the headlight point of aim. There are plenty of DIY descriptions on the internet to help you with this. There may also be a thread here regarding that procedure but I myself have not checked. If this does not correct your situation then by all means go for the Superstar Ultra. They can be found at most automotive supply stores as well as WallyWorld. I switched over and the difference was unbelieveable. I am now at the point that I never have to really use my high beam. One of the best reasons for changing to the Superstar Ultra is that it is just a simple bulb change and there is no wiring problems involved.

Good luck.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
A part # would be nice, have been thinking a little brighter would be better. Thanks

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i think its a hb4 9003 but i could be wrong just take a phillips head screw driver to the parts store and pull your old bulb and match it up

·
Registered
445 Posts
where can you get the silverstar ultra?
Walmart is the cheapest place I've fount it. Advanced Auto, as most all auto part places has it too, but it was $4 more for the bulb.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might be able to find them on ebay cheaper. I don't remember how much they wanted for them at walmart but Amazon had them for $35 a pair or so. Granted I would only need one.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Silverstar bulb is a simple and cheap "upgrade" to the standard headight bulb.

The output is better and the hue is more white than yellow...so it appears brighter and casts a better beam.

to adjust your headlight beam....park behind another car about 10 feet away at night and adjust your low beam to be just under the rear window and mirrors of the car ahead of you.

·
2,494 Posts
Might be able to find them on ebay cheaper. I don't remember how much they wanted for them at walmart but Amazon had them for $35 a pair or so. Granted I would only need one.
I believe I paid less than $12.00 for mine.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that for the regular Silverstar or the Silverstar Ultra? It looks like the Ultras are about twice as expensive as the regular Silverstars.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The ULTRA seems to be a tad bit more on the BLUEish side in color compared to the Silverstar. I have the Silverstar and am happy with it. adjust the beam so you are not pointed down as it will have a flat horizon cut on the beam as I said above. If you point it too high it will blind oncoming drivers and just piss off the guy in front of you by blinding him in his rear view and side mirrors.

The ULTRA is available in these bulbs:
9003/HB2/H3, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, H7, H11, H13/9008

Silverstar bulbs are around $20
Ultra is around $35

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
The ULTRA seems to be a tad bit more on the BLUEish side in color compared to the Silverstar. I have the Silverstar and am happy with it. adjust the beam so you are not pointed down as it will have a flat horizon cut on the beam as I said above. If you point it too high it will blind oncoming drivers and just piss off the guy in front of you by blinding him in his rear view and side mirrors.

The ULTRA is available in these bulbs:
9003/HB2/H3, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, H7, H11, H13/9008

Silverstar bulbs are around $20
Ultra is around $35
thats why i love having the ultra just to piss folks off lol
its gotta be bright we dont have two bulbs like the cages

·
2,494 Posts
thats why i love having the ultra just to piss folks off lol
its gotta be bright we dont have two bulbs like the cages
Oh surely you gest as I have twin rectangular headlights mounted on my Vulcan 750. I did that after laying the bike down my first year of riding and deciding that the custom work I had been thinking of for the future's time had come. I switched to the Silverstar and only use one bulb at a time as it is really bright and when riding with friends it can blind them through the mirrors. My second unit is just a backup in case the first one burns out on the road and for looks.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
ever think about wiring one for low and both for high would definitely get the cagers attention if they wanted to cut you off at night at least

1 - 20 of 31 Posts