Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean my "discharge"? If you mean total charging volts drop a bit, yes, that's normal.

You should be getting 12.8 volts or higher at idle, and they should go up to around 14.8 when the engine is spinning faster.

Like battery voltage is around 12.5 with the bike off and around 12 with the bike idling.

-Robert

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
How many volts at 5000?how old is the battery?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many volts at 5000?how old is the battery?
Well that's an interesting story. I was having problems with occasionally weak/low battery so I installed a voltmeter. It showed voltage 13.5-14 but sometimes 11 at cruise. So as a test I tossed in a $20 regulator just to see what happens. Now I'm generally not less than 13.5 but I've seen 16. Its odd that its not consistent.
Battery is a few years old AGM but tested good.

-Robert

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
You see 16v?! That fries batteries.

·
Super Moderator
11,868 Posts
Well before you freak out, try using another voltmeter to check your voltage ...at the battery. I've seen meters be off by 1-1/2 volts or so.

Stator output is never consistent as engine speed changes output. Generally volts are lowest at slow (idle) speeds and highest at high speeds...which if you think about it should make sense...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The high voltage may have been a grounding issue. I built a ground strap for the regulator and took a short ride and it seemed to stay below 14.5. I'll test it out some more. I did the relocation (at least partially) but the frame is not grounded.

-Robert

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
My battery terminal loosened up once and the voltmeter stayed on 15v.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts