Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've decided to stay with the quiet, stock exhaust, I suppose I should move the R/R. From pics I've seen, it's not a particularly attractive piece.

Can the actual R/R electronics be removed from the shell (exterior with fins) so that the shell can be powder-coated? Or, am I stuck with what I got?

Thanks! Mark

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i think the material it is made from is aluminum, or should be anyway. you can remove all the black paint if you want, and then refinish in any color you want. just keep in mind paint is an insulator, and that will keep ur unit hotter.
Another option if it truly is aluminum, is anodizing. anodizing has a minimal effect on heat condutivity, and it is extremely hard. there are a few kits online that will let you do it yourself up to a type 2 (there are 3 types, and type 3 is nearly industructable). You can also find a shop in your area that also prolly do it for a fee as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I moved mine and painted it with a high heat temp black not only looks good but does not get very hot, one thing about black paint it cools off very fast !
Rob

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
rucruisen said:
I moved mine and painted it with a high heat temp black not only looks good but does not get very hot, one thing about black paint it cools off very fast !
Rob
hummm didnt know color made a difference :pepper:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Yeah, black is best for heat dissipation. Although, it always seems to absorb heat better as well (black vs white car).

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realize the R/R is black already. I thought in the pics I saw it has an unfinished aluminum look. So, maybe I won't do anything to it - or, I'll paint it myself like rucruisen.

Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Just don't file the cooling fins off!! These help dissapate the heat built up while the R/R is doing its job.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hummm, but for some reason, i think a bare or anodized will still out perform any color painted R/R in the heat disapation. reason is that paint is still an insualtor. but here is an odd idea. y not get a custom heat sink, shave off the fins on the r/r, and use a thermal epoxy with a high silver content to attach the new heat sink? lol. that should prove interesting.

If my new r/r ever burns out cause of franken stator, i plan to build my own r/r. the parts that are in this one just arent done right. i just dont like that the stock housing doesnt dissapate as much as it should. my cpu heat sink seems to dissapate more and it produces less waste heat.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hizzo, I have some pieces of heatsink material from work. It's 2.25" square x 25/32" tall. It also has 4 holes (5/32 dia) spaced 1 5/8" apart, and a 1/8" hole thru the fins. They are bare aluminum.
These were scrapped for some reason. If ya want a couple of them,
I'll be happy to donate them to the "Hizzo Experimental Vulcan Improvement Project".

Attachments

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Look like processor heat sinks?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yep.... acutally they are prolly for an amplifier since it has the holes in it. eitherway that might be an interesting improvement. the other thing i noticed what that they are the perfect size for a hella hid ballast. With a heat sink like that on a ballast, i can boost output from 35 watts which is already 2-3 times brighter then a halogen, to 55 watts which should be about 4-5 times brighter....i think that equates out to about 4500 some odd lumens.. (your normal halogen H4 puts out about 1000 in low and 1250 in high)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts