Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the video below I outline what I'm talking about and also give a good look into a confirmation that öil coking"or caking or gooping or glopping is definitely an issue (was that even a question?) and more importantly what can be done about it?

In my case I have the thing apart and am wondering what to spray/soak/brush/wipe on this gunk that will remove it completely WITHOUT damaging the protective coating on the stator windings?

Top options in order of ascending damage risk are:
- elbow grease + water (boring)
- seafoam scrub
- ATF/PS fluid
- brake cleaner (non chlorinated)
- carb cleaner
- (insert your recommendation here)

I'll update this based on feedback, especially because this might be a useful thing to help fight stator failure if it's a product you could shoot the stator up with before an oil change and help gain some life from it

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It's just discolored, I don't think you'll be scrubbing it off.

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
Castrol Super Clean soak, then hit it with the water hose. Or soak in gas, diesel, or kerosene.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably go at it with a toothbrush and some gas, then, since that's what I have in the garage. Thanks for the tip, spockster!

After I get it cleaned and reinstalled and make sure I did the balancer dampers right, I'll also be adding a MOSFET R/R to help the charging system just a bit more, which is supposedly good for stator longevity.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
mosfet r/r is good for mental sanity. :D

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wanted to fill back in and let everyone know I cleaned the gunk off with gasoline like Spockster recommended, and it did a treat. Then I just rinsed the stator off with distilled water and let it dry off before reinstalling the stator cover.

Not really something you could do with the stator in the bike, but now mine is a little cleaner and will hopefully last a while longer (Especially since I decided to install a MOSFET from a used FZ-09 R/R)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts