Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had to replace the stator on my ‘03 750 so while I was at it, I went ahead and put in a mossfet R/R. I also replaced the junction box, and did the two wire mod, the blue wire mod and the reserve headlight unit bypass mod. Finally I replaced all the directionals, the headlight and the brake lights with LED lights. When I did that I also replaced the flasher unit with an led compatible one, and tied the third wire on the new rear directionals into the running lights power. All of the lights work for the running lights, but none of the directionals are flashing front or rear but I can hear the flasher unit activating, and the indicators in the dash are working correctly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That's quite strange. If the running lights are working, you've probably got the ground and power lines hooked up right, which only leaves the blinker power and one empty pin, so that's a no-brain win. If the dash lights are working, then power seems to be good up to the blinker power line too (where it Ts from the dash to the indicator lights themselves). Also seems unlikely that both sides would have a similar wiring failure (short to ground due to a worn wire or something). Can you put a voltmeter on the wires at the plug to the rear signals? Are you seeing a pulsing voltage there?

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
What’s the part number on the LED relay you have? When I swapped my relay, the first one I used was a “CF13” which is the LED equivalent for an EP34, it did not flash. After a little more research I figured out there are two types of CF13’s one is the “GL-02” for European vehicles and the other is “JL-02” for Japanese vehicles. Guess which one worked??

Product Circuit component Font Rectangle Electronic device
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Gadget

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I think I have figured it out. The lights were off of Amazon and they didn’t come with any good directions so I went with the red wire off them to the red wire on the bike witch is the running lights, and the black to the ground wire and the final wire to the bikes directional wire. I poked around on Amazon and finally found buried in the description that the red wire on the light is supposed to be directional and the yellow wire running lights so I have it backwards. Gonna try fixing that today and see what happens. I have a feeling that’s the issue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finaly got some shop time and swapped the directional wires and running light wires around and that was THAT issue. The directionals now do work properly, however i have a new issue. On the rear, if the directional wire is unpluged the running lights in the directionals will work but as soon as i plug the directional wire in, the lights goes out until i flip the turn signal switch and then they flash properly. I know that stock they did not function as running lights. is there some sort of wiring mod i have to do to allow the rear signals to also function as running lights? (The running light wire is tied into the power for the tail and plate light running lights)

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I can’t dig into the wiring diagram but It sounds like when you plug in the signal wire everything is grounding through the circuit with the TS switch, which is open until you set it. So to me that sounds like wiring. In the stock config there’s two circuits going to the taillight and the turn signals are separate. Sounds like you have them bridged and causing an open.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
To get running lights on the rear, you need 3 wire lights with double filament bulbs, then run a wire off the tail light circuit.
Exactly, 2 filaments, 2 circuits independent of the rear turn signals with a separate paths to ground

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem solved! (FINALLY) So I didn't just replace bulbs, I replaced the entire light units. (see the pics) I had it wired up correctly and used power off the tail light wire. Somehow, (I am assuming due to the fact that LEDs draw so much less power and therefore does weird things), it was back feeding down the turn signal wire. I went to the local Camping World, and purchased directional diodes to prevent the back feeding. (they are used when wiring a vehicle to be towed by a motorhome, so any camper dealership parts department should sell them) I then installed the diodes on the turn signal wires. One for each directional light. (4 in total)

The wires coming off the lights are red, yellow and black. Red is directional, yellow is running, and black is ground Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts